Smithfield Foods

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beekeeper10

Reaction score
I have been giving a little thought to the acquisition of Smithfield Foods by a Chinese company.
If Shuanghui, the company that is buying Smithfield Foods decides to produce pork or any other food for export only to China, would the food have to raised or produced to the same standards and meet the same regulations as food produced for US consumption?
If that is the case, that would allow the possibility for dodging USDA regulations and selling below standard food the US consumer.
The reason I am wondering about this is because China is the worlds worst at side stepping laws and finding loopholes to save money.

They will still need to follow federal and state laws.

I don't think their main market is going to be Americans. I think they plan to export most of the pork back to China.

Affluent Chinese are willing to pay much more for imported pork than local because of all the problems and scandals in the agricultural sector in that country.

By owning the farms they can custom grow the hogs the way the Chinese consumer desires. They typically feed a lot of greens to their hogs and it changes the flavor of the meat, I suspect they will use native hogs breeds, like Meishan, on the farms since they grow well on this diet and are what the consumers back home are use to.

http://www.oie.int/doc/ged/d11362.pdf

Latest posts

Back