Small Animal Auction

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crowsnest

Reaction score
I stumbled onto some great deals today. The kids and I have made it a Saturday summer ritual to attend an open air swap every week. We picked up a flat of tomato plants for $8.00 and found some other good deals also. But, I noticed that across the street there was a livestock auction. Now usually, this means cows - we don't have the space. But, today they had poultry, rabbits, even guinea pigs along with goats and sheep. Off to the ATM I went. We ended up buying a young NZ white doe (supposed to be bred) for $5.75, and 6 rex mix rabbits (4 does and 2 bucks) for $1.75 each!!!! 7 rabbits (plus hopefully some little ones on the way) for 16.25. Made my day for sure!!! I love shopping for new stock, but love it even more when I get a steal of a bargain. They are currently in quarantine, but look great. Hooray for great deals!!!

Wow that's an awesome deal! I wish we had that sort of thing here. Congrats on your purchases :D

Glad to hear of your bargains, Crowsnest, and relieved that you have put the new bunnies in quarantine. Chances are all will be well, but quarantine for new arrivals is always a good idea.

Sounds like a real bargain, I'll have to see if there are any small animal auctions around my area when I go to buy my first bit of stock. :)

There is one near here once a month, but I have never been. Hubby won't let me go by myself, for fear of what I will come home with! LOL One weekend we may have to go...

The Amish Guy I would go to auction with--I was at their house one day, wife came back from the barn-- fuming!!" WHERE did that brown cow come from!!1" I kinda got out of the way, mumbling "I didn't know he was buying another cow" We always sat in different areas of the bleachers-- so I never knew what was going to end up in my truck! And cows-- well, he would make arrangements as he paid for his purchases...

Frosted Rabbits":2kxy25sy said:
The Amish Guy I would go to auction with--I was at their house one day, wife came back from the barn-- fuming!!" WHERE did that brown cow come from!!1" I kinda got out of the way, mumbling "I didn't know he was buying another cow" We always sat in different areas of the bleachers-- so I never knew what was going to end up in my truck! And cows-- well, he would make arrangements as he paid for his purchases...

This made me LOL!

I've been to one a few months back and the rabbits there were in terrible condition.There was one dwarf that was crusted over and covered in his own urine.It amazed me that someone had taken this poor thing to auction and even more so that he was sold :( We did get lots of peppers there though.

I was ready to stuff him in my bra and head for the hills myself but did not want to risk my other rabbits at the same time.He was in a lot with a couple lops so i do like to hope that he was treated and not just tossed aside because they wanted the lops and he was just added in.It makes me very sad that this is considered ok by the auction.

SWEET!!!!! :D Congrats on your purchases! :bunnyhop:

We have these auctions every so often here too, had one just a month ago, and walked away with 3 very nice pedigreed junior Californians for $12 each.....2 junior does, and 1 junior buck. All very nice size, and all keepers! We thought they were a good deal, and were happy with that price. They'll be ready to go into our breeding herd in a couple weeks! They said prices here usually go higher in spring, and that we should come back in fall to get the really good prices.

There's alot of Amish in our area, and you see them bringing in alot of small animals to run through the auctions. We usually try to stay away from them, because they always seem to be the sickly animals. Most Amish around here just don't value animals like we do, and we find they are either thin, or sickly.

Latest posts

Back