skinny scrawny fryers with bad fur

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I was at the farm and we have had two litters that have grown out skinny, with poor fur and eat a ton; I suspect worms. anyone care to chime in?

cereshill,
Have you wormed them? Of course if you are using them as a food source,
you must wait at least 30 days from the last treatment before doing so.
What are your breeders like, are they fairly lean? Or have they got
excellent condition and body type?
If all else fails you may want to upgrade your breeding stock.
You cannot create a silk purse out of a Sows ear.
I would get some good breeding stock and breed toward disease resistance.
Any Rabbit which shows any sign of illness should be CULLED ASAP!
This will help immensely in quickly removing weakness from the herd.
Rabbits which have been treated for illness should
NEVER be retained as breeding stock.
Dennis, C.V.R.

Sounds like a big ol' case of parasites to me.
I would use ivermec, worm them clean their cages and scrub them the next day. Then wait a week worm them again and scrub the cages again. wormer does not kill the eggs so the initial worming only gets the actual worms so you have to wait for the eggs that may be present to hatch and worm them again before the new hatched worms are able to reproduce.

To prevent worms in your fryers it's always a good idea to treat your breeding stock twice a year or so as even if they don't get to go outside on the gound they can get worms from hay, and greens, and other animals (like barn cats, and rodents) that may be present in their environment, even from you if you handle another animal then a rabbit.

Selecting resistant brood stock is always a good idea as well.

Our breeders have been of good stock, size and disposition. We have chickens under and around the cages at the farm. I am fairly certain they spread worms to these litters. We will worm the herd and see. Yesterday we built some structures to get more of the cages elevated. I think that will help too.

Obviously we were not keeping any for stock.

How clean in their habits are these particular two litters? If momma didn't train them well and they foul their food or water, it could be coccidiosis. I'm kind of leaning toward this possibility because you don't mention anything else that is different about these litters from the other, healthy ones. Just a thought... but when you butcher them, take a good look at the livers.

Back