Silver martens

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I understand, silver martens are considered both a fur and commercial meat breed of rabbit-not as big as new zealands but still a good meat rabbit. They were bred from chinchillas...I don't know how fast they grow but I would think it would be comparable to the chinchilla-all in all I would consider getting a doe or two and see what comes of it-they are quite lovely!

They are beautiful. You should ask them how much their rabbits weigh at 8 weeks. I imagine it varies from line to line, anyway. Then again, are there any lines out there that aren't heavily based on Tex Thomas' rabbits?

I sent you an email Farm Girl.
Silver Martens are good rabbits and I would not hesitate to suggest them as a breed. There are several lines out there that aren't based heavily on Tex's. Truthfully, I wouldn't suggest buying from him first off, though. Not until you know what you want anyway. JMHO

Emily

Are the Tex Thomas rabbits really good?
SSR are you saying I should wait until I find some that I am sure there good?

He said that the father was show quality but the mother didn't have papers.

Do they get up to ten pounds?
I thought thats sounded big.

Just PM'd you<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:32 pm __________<br /><br />Silver Martens are usually 7 to 7 1/2 pounds. Some lines can be larger, some smaller. I have a 9, or 10 pound doe, but that is VERY uncommon and 10 pounds is over she show weight limit.

Latest posts

Back