Silver Fox Blue or Lilac Kit?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shan_non

Reaction score
Is this a Blue or Lilac colored Silver Fox kit? 1 of 8 kits from our first Silver Fox litter.

LilacorBlue1.jpg

LilacorBlue2.jpg

LilacorBlue3.jpg

LilacorBlue4.jpg

Also, is it Female or Male? 3 days old

malefemale2.jpg

one of the photos it looks blue, but the rest look silver. what colour are the parents?

DSCN0318.jpg

a random photo i found online of a lilac (middle) and blue (bottom) kit.

as for the sex, it's impossible to tell from your photo. you will need to press on the top opening to see if anything 'pops' out. if it's a slit, it's a doe, if it's a tube, it's a buck. it can be hard to tell at that age though. i usually don't sex my kits til around weaning because it's too hit or miss for me lol. there used to be a thread on the forum somewhere with good photos, but it looks like the images are all broken?

Going by this infographic I'm thinking it's a doe, however I don't usually sex kits this young -though I just stained my fingers with blu-kote so I'm thinking about using a tiny drop on my 4 day old kits that I think are bucks and giving it a shot! Comparing later to see how accurate it was, lol.

Attachments

• 15094850_1184120941672727_3032572494171369171_n.jpg
    15094850_1184120941672727_3032572494171369171_n.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,990
2CrazyFools":i545pqs8 said:
Going by this infographic I'm thinking it's a doe, however I don't usually sex kits this young -though I just stained my fingers with blu-kote so I'm thinking about using a tiny drop on my 4 day old kits that I think are bucks and giving it a shot! Comparing later to see how accurate it was, lol.

I just attempted it, all 7 kits are does! :D

... or I really can't sex at 5 days old :lol: Okay, to be fair I did have 1 buck and I only sexed 5 of them before thinking, "4 does in a row? ... ... Hmm." So at this age I may be predisposed to guess "doe" for everything unless depressed so it "pops" out. I lightly tried this with the babies this morning but I worried about hurting them just for curiosities sake so I stopped.

The kit looks to be a doe. As for what color, I would suggest taking pictures at eye level in natural light. That way we could see the fur better.

First and second pictures are lilac silvered. Third is blue silvered. Kit is a blue silvered doe. Silver Foxes only come in black silvered and blue silvered -- the lilac silvered, white silvered, and chocolate silvered are not really Silver Foxes but a cross out to Satins. ;)

OldEnglishSilvers88":3jtfj4ii said:
First and second pictures are lilac silvered. Third is blue silvered. Kit is a blue silvered doe. Silver Foxes only come in black silvered and blue silvered -- the lilac silvered, white silvered, and chocolate silvered are not really Silver Foxes but a cross out to Satins. ;)

Thanks, OldEnglish. All pics are of the same kit. The first 2 are in the sunlight. I will get a better picture in normal lighting today but I do believe it is a blue doe now. Exactly what I was hoping for, yay! :D

-- Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:50 am --

2CrazyFools":3jtfj4ii said:
2CrazyFools":3jtfj4ii said:

I just attempted it, all 7 kits are does! :D

... or I really can't sex at 5 days old :lol: Okay, to be fair I did have 1 buck and I only sexed 5 of them before thinking, "4 does in a row? ... ... Hmm." So at this age I may be predisposed to guess "doe" for everything unless depressed so it "pops" out. I lightly tried this with the babies this morning but I worried about hurting them just for curiosities sake so I stopped.

Update if this works out for you, 2crazyfools. I think I will try the same.

-- Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:18 pm --

Here are a few more pictures not in the sunlight. I am thinking blue.

LorB555.png

LorB6.png

LorB7.png

Back