Silly Nail Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect they would ingest them and it would be hard to get them on. If you are going to handle them that much, just get them used to a electric nail file like I use on my dog. They are like a little rotary sander, and will round of the sharpest edges in seconds.

Edited to add: (I am lazy and just like long sleeves...)

Time to embrace my inner goth girl and wear fingerless gloves! 😂

I'll get a small rotary grinder and recommend long sleeves for anyone who wants to handle her. Thanks for all of your ideas, folks! I really appreciate the help!

My partner has become really fond of my rabbit, but is afraid of holding her due to the scratch risk. Their immune system isn't the best, and even small cuts can make them really sick for several days after. Perhaps now with your help I can give him the ability to hold a bunny! 😄

Time to embrace my inner goth girl and wear fingerless gloves! 😂

I'll get a small rotary grinder and recommend long sleeves for anyone who wants to handle her. Thanks for all of your ideas, folks! I really appreciate the help!

My partner has become really fond of my rabbit, but is afraid of holding her due to the scratch risk. Their immune system isn't the best, and even small cuts can make them really sick for several days after. Perhaps now with your help I can give him the ability to hold a bunny! 😄

My issue with trying to use the nail caps would be that they would come off fairly quickly, we did use them on a cat for a while and she would pull them off sometimes and cats are less likely to chew on plastic / rubber than a rabbit would be.

That said, if you just wanted a day or 2, I don't think they would hurt her if she chewed them off, it's just rubber and super glue so should just pass through her (confetti poops?). I just would check that they are all still there before letting your partner handle her.

I think over time she will get more comfortable being held, too. My angoras just lay there like floppy stuffed animals, and they don't scratch even if they squiggle a little. I can roll them on their back and hold them there to comb their belly fur. Their temperaments are shockingly placid.

My meat rabbits take muscle to control into a headlock for everyone's safety. The angoras are 5lbs of constantly groomed fluff, and the meat rabbits are rarely lifted out of their cages, and weigh up to 13lbs as an adult. They are sweet enough, but they are capable of doing some serious damage to me or themselves if not held snugly. With time they might not become completely boneless like the angoras, but those of them placed in pet homes have become much easier to pick up, even by kids. It just takes time and patience!

Latest posts

Back