Sigh. Really?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattle Cait

Reaction score
To recap the last three months:

My dog died.

Pepper died.

Pepper's husband, Reuban, died.

Pepper's sister, Sky, died.

The neighbor's mother-effity dog tore into our layer flock, killing a fair number of hens and injuring a few more.

And then, today, my lovely bantam Faverolle rooster decided to kick the bucket at the ripe old age of 9 months.

Oy.

Oh Caitlin, I'm so sorry. If you're anything like me and you take these things super hard, you've got to be really bummed. Praying nothing else happens to any of your little flock of animals.

So sorry to hear of your losses Cait. When so many deaths come back to back like that it is so hard to mourn properly. I hope things take a turn for the better now.

As for the neighbor's dog, I hope you got compensation for your hens, and the dog is properly secured so it can't happen again. Here in our mountains, that dog would have a bullet in its head- the cattle ranchers don't mess around. Years ago a neighbors 3 dogs attacked and severely wounded one of the pigs they were raising for meat. They were her son's dogs. He was a young teenager at the time, but knew "the law", so he shot his dogs- every one. He knew they would start roaming and someone else would do it, and they would be liable for the damage, which they couldn't afford. We were recent suburban transplants and it shocked the he!! out of me at the time. Living in the country isn't all sunshine and roses, that's for sure.

I hauled the dead hens down to their door and knocked until someone answered. The husband wasn't home (the local idiot) but his wife was and I SAW her run and hide in the kitchen. Unfortunately for her, I wasn't leaving. She finally answered and I told her that she needs to keep her dog on her own property or it will get shot. The dog was back over yesterday and...well...Dad took care of it.

Cattle Cait":1erflc75 said:
The dog was back over yesterday and...well...Dad took care of it.

Well, at least that wont be a problem anymore. I guess you wont be knocking on their door asking to borrow a cup of sugar anytime soon!

So sorry that all of this has happened lately. Good for your Dad for taking care of the "menace". We learned the hard way, after losing two cats here, and 5 dogs in our neigborhood, that dogs that kill will keep killing and usually look for bigger and bigger victims.

I am so sorry to hear about all of your losses! :(

It is good that you warned the neighbor, giving her one last chance to keep control of her dog. But I'm glad that your father followed through on your promise, and the threat is gone.

Sometimes, life really piles on... thankfully, it can really pile on the good stuff, too. I hope that it switches to the good stuff now!!!

Michigan's Dog Law is very specific when it comes to harassing and killing livestock. If you catch the dog doing it, you can shoot it on site with no legal repercussions. The dogs owner is responsible for not only the value of the livestock killed, but also any investment you made in said livestock. Such as feed bills. I hope when your dad took care of the problem, that he called the neighbors to come clean up the mess.

I wonder what the law like here in Arizona would be with pesky cats from the neighbors?

{{{{{Hugs}}}}}!!! I'm so sorry you've gone through so much in such a short time! Kudos to your dad for "taking care of things" and taking care of YOU! What an awesome dad!

Back