Sick rabbit. HELP.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
My Rex buck is sick. he won’t eat or drink and has snot clogging his nose. One nose is completely clogged and the other is almost clogged. what should I do?

If he's not drinking or eating, you need a vet asap otherwise they'll die withing a few days or less. Snot can be from a few sources but most worrysome would be a respiratory infection, for wich without antibiotic there is not much you can do agaisnt.
You can try giving them a few treats to try and motivate them to eat, but only a little bit at a time.
For me, it's hard to recommend anything else without seeing and feeling the bunny in person though. A lot of how I treat bunnies is just instinctual for me after years of experience and some thing you do need the know how and proper medication for.

Unfortunately I can’t take him to a vet. Is there any natural remedies I can give him. i will try to give him treats but I already gave him honey and he refused so I doubt he will eat anything.

I have a antibiotic for fevers and colds for rabbits so I will be giving it to him now. This in the antibiotic. its in German.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Rabbits need to eat to keep stuff moving towards the exit. So not eating is trouble quickly. You may have to syringe feed (force feed) and water this one for a while untill he wants to start eating on his own again.
Other wise, keep the nose (and eyes since they look clogged up too) clean, both to get rid of as much infection as you can as well as easier breathing.
Some versions of these illnesses are contageous, so seperate/handle/care for this one last and wash hands well after (and keep in mind if you have to hold him, that means clothes to).

Baby food (small jars in the store) or mashed veg can be used to feed, and whatever greens you feed dry, like hay can be soaked to make a "tea" for the water.

Quarantine and herbs. You can try feeding him oregano, thyme, teasel and echinacea if you have access to them. Also try Vetrx if you can get it. You put the drops in the nose and in their water. The wrong antibiotic won’t be effective but if you are not able to get to a vet, these things will help. No guarantee that they will work perfectly but it’s something. I hope this helps and your Rex recovers.

currently I’m syringe feeding him water and smashed pellets.
We have used Goldenseal in the past for sick bunnies who needed antibiotics and even now if you research it, goldenseal is a good antibiotic for bunnies. We always gave about a quarter tsp every for hours during the day and let them be at night. Warm cloth to help clean stuffy noses as mentioned. We also gave them a dab of unflavored yogurt for a few days after to replace the good bacteria. This is what we did. We recently had a bout of wry neck and all our bunnies are now well again but one still has a bent neck. Better though. (thanks to the info from everyone on here/ this is indeed a wonderful forum to help). Hope your bunny feels better soon.

Hi, if you can’t afford the full vet meds. You can ask your vet if anyone has donated Metacam or Reglan injections. You can also ask your vet for a clean subcutaneous needle to hydrate the rabbit if you can’t afford anything else. I donated all my rabbits meds after the last one passed away. I knew how it felt to be hit with $190-$750 per visit depending on what was wrong. Sometimes people donate all their left over meds and the vet will only give them to you if they know you’re really flat broke and have no way to pay and you either say you have to euthanize or leave with a dying , untreated rabbit. It’s unfair for people to claim they don’t have enough money to treat their rabbit at the moment if they really do and they just don’t want to pay the bill. So vets are very cautious with their donated meds. I’ve even used expired Reglan for my one rabbit during the night when he had stasis and it worked great, within 6 hours he was drinking and eating cilantro. My other advice is. Try to find someone that can remain calm to help you give the injections if you can’t or you need the rabbit to stay still. Most times I could sit on the floor, open my thighs and slide my rabbit backwards and gently, but firmly hold him for the injections into the loose skin on the back of his neck, but other times he would fight so bad I would accidentally stick him through the skin of neck, not have enough of his skin and have the needle go into my finger. All because I was afraid and panicked when I had to give meds or injections. Try to find anyone calm to help. If they panic, so will the rabbit. God luck to all that need it. I went through so much with tow siblings, both male. I took a break after the last one passed. It cost me a small fortune, but it was more the heartbreak that broke me. My one rabbit had megacolon since he was about 6 months old and it’s a common problem with Lop eared tri colored Charlie bunnies I found out.

Back