sick dog advice

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
A week ago we ran out of dog food for 2 days so we gave them frozen ground venison. Haru has a sensitive stomach so it was no surprise when diarrhea followed. However now it's been 6 days of diarrhea. This morning she was screaming but she may have just injured herself on her crate or something. She a big drama queen and sets off screaming just for looking in her ears or at her feet when nothing is wrong with them. More concerning aside from the length of the diarrhea is that today she is passing some blood. She has been having accidents in the house when she's very well potty trained. We started her on boiled chicken and rice yesterday. Could this be more than a badly upset stomach from food? The convenient, knowledgeable, nearby vet is rather expensive but we'll spend the money if we have to.

She could have a bacterial imbalance.

I had a pup in a litter develop diarrhea (with vomiting) and successfully treated him with Cephalexin given orally. A couple of the pups in my current litter also developed loose stools and vomited "foam", but never displayed any lethargy because I dosed them immediately.

The original instance occurred when we were snowed in and couldn't get to a vet. The symptoms were very similar to Parvo. In a panic, I did an internet search and found this:

http://www.dogstuff.info/dog_show_crud.html

Fortunately, we had a (human) prescription for Cephalexin on hand. The pup felt better within about 8 hours, with normal stools the following morning.

I know of someone that had a litter of six pups, two of which were diagnosed with and treated for Parvo and died. I told them about my findings when two more were showing the same symptoms and they treated them with Cephalexin and they recovered. They also gave the two remaining healthy pups a dose, and those never became ill.

I would also recommend giving her canned pumpkin to firm up the stools, and electrolytes for dehydration. The blood is a sign that her intestines are very inflamed and irritated.

I hope this helps! :clover:

First I would with hold food for 24 hours, then start with the chicken and rice also canned pumpkin works good on firming up stool. You can also give Imodium ad Kaopectate or pepto bismal. If the blood is bright red, it is most likely just irritation to the rectum/intestinal tract, due to the diarrhea. I wouldn't let the diarrhea go on much longer without seeing a vet.

I've fed chicken, rice, pumpkin, and plain yogurt to my dogs when they had digestive upsets. Maybe the yogurt helps with bacteria....

Poor little girl! :(

If the dogs get diarrhea, I withhold food for 24 hours, then start on small portions with some probiotics in the water. I use yogurt but if your dog has a sensitive stomach I wouldn't use yogurt just incase. You can use some acidopholus.

This is an adult dog? Venison is VERY rich and if your dog is sensitive and doesn't eat it normally then it makes sence. Pumpkin also helps with stool hardness, you can add some when you restart feeding. But some dogs that are sensitive can react to it.

We've been giving her pepto bismal today and it seems to be helping. No more accidents and she doesn't have to go out every couple hours.

maybe its just cause im from the desert but alo vera jell human consumption kind helps.mix with rice and ground beef, I had a dane that ate something that caused digestive problems and this worked quickly.

katiebear":1l39ve0i said:
maybe its just cause im from the desert but alo vera jell human consumption kind helps.mix with rice and ground beef, I had a dane that ate something that caused digestive problems and this worked quickly.

Whoa, aloe is considered toxic to dogs if ingested. It contains saponins, which cause severe diarrhea and vomiting. I don't know of any form of aloe vera which is safe to feed to dogs.

I'm glad your dog was okay after you fed him aloe, but that doesn't mean it's safe to do so.

She's still dripping dark liquid poop when taken outside but she didn't ask to go out until 11. No screaming in her crate at 7 30 am.

I believe there's an extracted version of aloe liquid/gel that is safe but you won't find it here. The only aloe here is in sunburn lotion or buying your own plant.

Haru won't eat pumpkin. She generally has chronic constipation so we've tried but the only way she'll take it is if we substitute it for the molasses in a meatball treat recipe.

We feed a lot of raw but not a lot of red meat. Rabbit, poultry, fish, and then either just what's on the bones of beef and venison or meatball treats which are given sparingly to Haru. With having to disperse our large rabbit herds though we will have to adjust them to more red meat. I'll only have the odd netherland of a color I can't sell to butcher. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:37 pm __________ <br /><br /> And as soon as I say that I find a big smelly puddle in the bathroom. :wall:

If I'm not mistaken pepto bismol contains aspirin. Isn't that toxic for dogs too? I just know pepto bismol is off limits for my husband. He's deathly allergic to aspirin and all NSAIDs.

Hmm... now that we stopped the chicken and rice diet and gave them back kibble my other dog is having problems. We haven't fed any raw meat. Starting to question the new bag of kibble. <br /><br /> __________ Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:45 pm __________ <br /><br /> Between lack of sleep and constant exposure to cold to take out one dog or the other my husband has rather snapped. The 80lb akita just wiggled on to his feet while we has trying to put boots on and his patience has run out. I'm not sure what to do. He gave them more kibble when I keep saying we should probably stop feeding it until we sort things out. Can't help if he won't listen to me and keeps giving them kibble after I've gone to bed. I had to clean up a mountain of kibble vomit earlier. Didn't know that much fit in the akita's stomach.

I know a vet a long time ago actually told me to buy over the counter immodium AD for my dog who had diarrhea (he knew I didn't have lots of money for perscription meds) and it worked a charm- would have to be careful about the right dosage though. My x boyfriend and I used to get in fights over over feeding the dogs and cats- I think he just had in his head if a animal was feeling poorly the cure was feed it lots of food, and if it ate lots of food it was ok, but feeding lots of food isn't good for dogs with diarrhea, its better to let their intestines completely clear out between feedings.

This seems to be the point where I break out the Kaopectate. The dogs are easier to dose than the rest of the family...!

This sounds like what happened to our dog..the bit about suspicious kibble as well...We fed all our dogs...from a new bag...next morning two were sick...one was ok but he hardly eats the food anyway. We tossed that bag and got different brand all together and it cleared up. One dog we were scared would die since their was blood in his vomit. Vet was closed so we just watched him hoping he'd pull through. With the different food he started noticeably improving withing hours. thing is the stuff we believe made him sick is the same food we give them regularly, but with all the issues with people poisoning food randomly we just stopped buying that food for a few weeks. ..You made need a different food for a while..at least if it is contaminated switch for a while in hopes they can sort out the issue.

I have a wolfdog, touchy stomach critter. He does get the runs every so often, any diet change from his usual raw meat and bone diet sets him off. Best cure I've found is to stop all meat, dog food, treats, etc for 3 days ad feed him a total of 6 cups of a mix of equal parts pumpkin and plain yougurt with a TBS of either honey or Agave syrup mixed in 3 times a day. He loves it and, I have never had that fail to set him right.

Somehow the step kids think human food goes to the dog and, if I'm not home when they come over, hubby doesn't stop them from feeding him leftovers. "Let kids be kids". Oh well, good thing my baby likes his yogurt diet 2-3 times a year. :)

Latest posts

Back