Sick doe, can't find a previous thread

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeenutdesigns

Reaction score
Hi, I have a doe who has kits that are about 4 wks old. She has been eating and drinking well, seemingly normal, still has kits in with her. This morning my son got rabbit duty while I was at work and called to tell me she was laying on her side and not doing so well. I thought it was probably the heat, even though it is overcast and cooler today. I told him to mist them all down and give her a frozen bottle, which he did.

When I got home she was worse. She is unable to stand on her own, is laying on her side, very weak and lethargic. I removed her from the kits, put her in with hay and tried to give her some water, but she won't drink. This is sudden onset. Her poops are a little moist and soft, not bad.

I have Sulmet and ivermectin on hand, but I don't think either of those are appropriate for these particular symptoms. I have some crimped oats or whole old fashioned oatmeal, which would be better? I'm not sure she'll eat but I have some the molasses/vitamin mixture stuff you get from the feed store left over from my goat getting attacked by a dog I could squirt on it.

I really like this doe and hate to lose her. Any ideas? I know I've seen threads with similar symptoms but I can't seem to find them now. Going now to see what TSC has that might be helpful.

I removed her from the kits, put her in with hay and tried to give her some water, but she won't drink.

My first thought is to make sure she isn't dehydrated.
You can place a small syringe or dropper just behind her teeth and give a little water or electrolyte solution a few drops at a time.

Too late. I got back from the feed store and she was gone. I did give her some water before I left with a syringe behind her teeth, but I don't think she drank any. She has had plenty of water at all times and her water bottle still has water and isn't clogged. The temps have actually been cooler the last week or so, but I still go check the rabbits several times a day. If I hadn't have had to work today, I maybe could have treated her sooner, but this took less than 24 hours for a seemingly healthy do to deteriorate and die. :( I wonder if it is the feed. I had several kits die unexplainably and very quickly the last time I tried using Manna Pro. I recently went back to it because I thought maybe it wasn't the feed after all and until my other non-GMO feed comes in it's either that or TSC brand, which has less protein.

Now I have 7 orphaned kits. They are eating pellets and oats, but they weren't completely weaned.

I'm sorry you lost her. By the time rabbits start showing signs of illness there is often a very narrow window where treatment will be effective, but there is also a good chance that nothing you might have done would have helped. You know you did what you could, considering you don't even know what went wrong! Have you preformed an autopsy? There may be something obviously wrong that is visible on the inside. (like an ovary full of puss)

and until my other non-GMO feed comes in it's either that or TSC brand

That situation is the main reason why I haven't resorted to ordering feed. I'd love an organic, or at least non-gmo feed, but I'm scared to run out and have to wait for a shipment.

You could offer the kits some good hay or hay cubs along with the pellets and oats. Thankfully your doe got those kits to a age where they can be weaned comfortably!

I hate that just when I think all is going well and good with the rabbitry and everybody is doing what they are supposed to and I'm happy with my breeding stock, out of the blue something like this happens. Does it ever get to a point where you are just smooth sailing?

Latest posts

Back