Sick buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockyhillrabbits

Reaction score
My main Rex buck, the one I had posted about having what I thought were yucky scent glands is in bad shape. Yesterday he was very weak and lethargic. He barely ate his pellets, which I had to get a small bag of different feed because TSC was out of my usual feed and I was completely out. They are supposed to get my feed in tomorrow but I got bermuda hay and he did pick at it a little. The other day I had picked grass for him and he ate a little of it. But the day before yesterday he was looking good. He was more active, going to the door when I approached his cage, eating, drinking,etc. Yesterday he was almost face-planting when he'd hop forward. When he would just sit still he'd start to lean/fall to one side and he acted like his head was heavy. He'd just put his head down so his mouth was resting on the floor.
When I picked him up yesterday he felt rattley in his chest and he didn't struggle. He normally always hates being picked up.
Today I went foraging and found him some blackberries, the fruit and some leaves. He ate the 6 berries and just picked at his pellets. He feels cold. Poop is normal. I hate to lose him but I'm not sure what this is or what I can do except to keep him eating. He is very thin and has lost a bit of weight just in the last few days. Other than the rattley breathing, he isn't sneezing or having any discharge. He does grind his teeth a bit, which indicates pain. He's the only breeding buck I have for Rex and he's such a pretty boy and an awesome sire. Would VetRx help? I have FishMox (amoxicillin) but I know antibiotics can be tricky with rabbits. I'm going to find some dandelion and plantain. I had looked in the yard and around the barn yesterday but didn't find any. I'm also going to offer him oats.

I do not have great solutions. I would try antibiotics to be honest, because you are describing a seriously sick rabbit and short of a vet visit this would be your next option.

I would try to get Doxycycline or Metronidazole--the latter is available for fish as metroplex from seachem (70% metronidazole by weight)--both can be given orally. see this link for dosing. To make Metroplex into a suspension, mix it into honey water. You will need to understand how to calculate a dose from a homemade formula, let me know if you need help to understand that--it takes some careful measuring and math to figure out your concentration, and then decide how much to give. Once it is wet it needs to be in the fridge and used or discarded within a week or 2, it will not have preservatives like a commercial formulation.

I would also try asprin or ibuprophen per this link--readily available in child suspension formulas. Rabbits (all small prey animals) will be prone to shock from pain. It is a kindness since in nature they often die violently, but it means they can actually die from discomfort, and they will do their best to hide their pain. The not eating may be related to pain, or difficulty breathing while chewing.

Other than that, keep him comfortable, quiet, and quarantined. Just in case.

I had a Doe act very lethargic and ill and then apparently bounce back a day later--fingers crossed for him!

Alternatively you can dissolve metronidazol into the drinking water if you use water bottles. that may be easier. you have to calculate the amount to add based on the volume of the bottle, and the amount of water he will drink in a day. this gets hard if he is not drinking a normal amount however.

Yesterday evening he looked a little better. I gave him some oats and he ate a little. He had drank a little from his bowl. I'm going to hunt for more blackberries today. He also ate some plantain yesterday that I had found.

This morning he was sitting up, grooming himself and looked MUCH better! Less wobbly, more active, his ears are perkier and he had ate his whole bowl of oats and drank most of his bowl of water. I gave him more oats and refilled his water. I'll get more berries and plantain today and hope he keeps improving.

This morning he was sitting up, grooming himself and looked MUCH better! Less wobbly, more active, his ears are perkier and he had ate his whole bowl of oats and drank most of his bowl of water. I gave him more oats and refilled his water. I'll get more berries and plantain today and hope he keeps improving.
Glad he seems to be feeling better!

Back