Siberian Husky, what are they like?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huskies are one of the most common crosses used to create wolfdogs for a reason, they retain more of the wild instincts than any other breed. They are high energy and need room to run. They are territorial but, friendly toward humans. They also have a high prey drive, just as a wolfdog (which I own two of) anything smaller than them that runs will trigger the prey drive, especially fluffy or festered things. (Pomeranians, yorkies, rabbits, chickens, cats, etc...) And once engaged, you would not have time to prevent the target form becoming prey.

On the good side, they are very human friendly and interactive, they make a lot more sounds that just barks and whines. They will argue with you vocally, ask for food by saying "I'm Hungry", say "I love you" and more if you teach them. Just look up a few you tube videos of talking huskies. They are intelligent and, unlike many breeds, do completely outgrow the puppy playfulness. That's good for humans but, makes it hard to find other canines the huskies doesn't find childish and annoying.

If you have the time, room and energy for them, they can be wonderful companions but, if not they can be destructive, escaping, cat and chicken chasing heartaches. A 4 ft fence won't contain one, or keep one out unless the dog chooses to respect the fence. A six foot fence won't either. My wolfdogs do stay in a sic foot, open top run but, that is only because they want to stay. Everything they need is in there, aside from time with the humans and, they know that is where we will come to find them when it's time to come in the house and be with the humans so, they stay there by choice. It is also 1/4 of a acre so they have room to run and, there are obstacles for them to climb on, chew toys, ropes to swing from and, that is where they get their RMB food which they love. If they choce, they could easily clear the fence, they often leap higher than the fence just romping around out there.

Not a dog for anyone that dosn't have the thime and energy or space for them or, who isn't willing to secure every possible prey animal from their reach.

honestly you don't want my honest opinion, we have a 16 year purebred husky, still kicking. all dogs have their own personality, they are vocal hairy running predators!! save yourself the misery adopt a shelter dog! i will post a pic tomorrow

I can attest to the fence thing. When I was still living at my mom's house years ago, I looked out back and saw a Sibi in the yard playing with the lab and rottie.

My first thought was 'who dumped a dog in the yard?!'. As it turns out, animal control was looking for said dog, he had escaped from the yard of the people who adopted him. When the animal control officer walked up to grab him, he put his front paws on the top rail of the four foot chainlink, and proceeded to walk up the fence with his back feet in an attempt to escape. Luckily he was slow and we grabbed him, but he sure was smart! (I did tell the officer that I'd happily keep him, but she said the other people wanted him back. Fair enough, mom would have my head for another dog anyway...)

Our second house down has a sibe. It bites, it escapes, it has NO call back, their kids spend lots of time trying to catch it when it gets loose and it has discovered we have chickens AND rabbits. Oh, and they turn it loose at night to get exercise and cant bite anyone because most people are asleep.

If I have a gun in my hand at the (for the dog) wrong moment, its going to get to see doggy heaven. Unless the killer road we live on gets it first, and its basset hound companion, first.

Pretty dog?

OMG Drop dead pretty but its a menace and, every week older it gets, the more dangerous it becomes.

MY kids want to turn it into a rug as, so far, it has broken the skin on two of them. :evil:

So, from my watching of the disaster shaping up, they make terrible family dogs.

RothsRabbits":3he8nf2d said:
honestly you don't want my honest opinion, we have a 16 year purebred husky, still kicking. all dogs have their own personality, they are vocal hairy running predators!! save yourself the misery adopt a shelter dog! i will post a pic tomorrow

Nothing against shelter dogs but that is not what I am looking for. I want to show in conformation so for that I need a registered purebred dog.

I have been talking with trainers, breeders and friends. While I am not totally committed to getting a husky, I also love GSD's, I don't think I am going to rule out the possibility of getting a husky or maybe a Samoyed . Such a tough decision :lol: Like I said I did grow up with GSD's and GSD X's My first dog at age 11 was a wolf dog. I trained that dog to do many tricks, just not off leash, unless in a fenced in yard. I have also trained many different breeds to be guide dogs, some were more easier to train than others.

It would be a challenge but my trainers think I could handle a husky, of course the one trainer is rooting for GSD, that's his favorite breed. :roll: But he has also worked with sled dogs and is certain with dedication and hard work I could be a good owner. He will even help me train the dog to pull. Which then opens up the possibility of competing in weight pulling competitions.

JessicaR":yumgt4j2 said:
I don't think I am going to rule out the possibility of getting a husky or maybe a Samoyed

Samoyeds are neat dogs, although I have only known a couple. Some belonged to my neighbors when I was a kid, and they were friendly dogs, but they didn't have much training.

Have you considered an Alaskan Malamute? They are mellower than Sibes, but still have the prey drive.

Thirty years ago I knew one that was taking the same obedience class as my American Eskimo. He did pretty well, but could be very stubborn.

This was back in the day of correction based training (choke chains) and he was "hung" more than once- although I don't think ever fully off of the ground. But the owner (a lady) did correct him severely more than once. Aside from vocalizing about it, it didn't seem to dampen his enthusiasm for mischief much. :roll:

There was a Samoyed in the same class, and she was much more eager to please her owner.

If you have youir heart set on a husky, malamute, samoyed or even a wolfdog, get one just do some reading and get educated about the breed you want first. All of them can be wonderful companions and, a joy to have in your family. Sure they are predators and, some things will engage that prey drive but, they are also intelligent, very trainable animals and, all of them have unique personalities and, tend to be more interactive than other breeds.

Sure they are fur balls of energy and, you will never wear them out and, that can lead to boredom driven destruction but, you can redirect that to better activities. (rope bones, safe chews, playing fetch, chasing a rag bone attached to a fishing pole, etc...) You just have to make sure you teach them not to bother smaller house pets and, any other possible prey animal is secured from their reach. (High fences, cages or, roofing over lower fenced areas like chicken runs.)

I have a Husky and a malamute wolf hybrid now and, wolfdogs have been a part of my family all of my life. Never have I lost a single animal to their prey drive (my father did occasionally throw old roosters to them when I was a kid but, that was meant to be prey for them.) I have chickens, rabbits, an outdoor cat, an conure and fish all housed in canine territory or in the house with the canines and, it isn't a problem. You just have to keep the prey animals safe from the predators and, teach the dogs that those prey animals are part of the family and, are not to be hunted. They can learn that.

This is so hard :lol: After having shelties for so many years and learning their standard and knowing how they "work" it is so hard to choose a different breed! I will have to relearn everything! And then I am picky about the breeder, I have learned the hard way that not all breeders are helpful when you are starting with a new breed. I have found a sibe breeder I like now I want to find a GSD breeder that I like so I can make a final decision.

I want to thank everyone for your help and advise! It has been rough we not only lost our first sheltie, the fostering of guide dogs has also started to take its toll on me. For 9 years now we have received a puppy loved it trained it and made it a part of the family, only to have to return it to the school. In my heart I know what we are doing is a blessing to those that cant see, but sometimes my heart hurts when we return the dogs. :cry:

Have you seen an Irish Red and White Setter? High energy dogs with a soft mouth that make good family dogs. They have a fascinating history, are a rare breed and are rather new to this country so showing them should be fun.

We wanted to foster guide dog pups once but the having to give them back stopped us. Well done you for having gifted so much of yourself for such a worthy cause.

I actually have thought about the IRWS! One of our 4h advisors breeds and shows them. She has dogs that are related to the BOB winner at Westminster. They will be breeding one of their girls this fall after she passes her OFA's, unfortunately or maybe fortunately :lol: I am not looking to get a pup this soon or I would be very tempted to get a pup from her. I know her dogs and have been around all of them since they were babies, and while they can be a little shy if you let them, they are nice dogs. Plus much easier to groom than the Irish setter.

Latest posts

Back