Show without a pedigree?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joplus

Reaction score
I am selling my baby Flemish Giants in a few weeks. So I've posted a Craigslist ad and got a deposit for one so far. The dad is a show rabbit and won at the ARBA show but I bought him as a pet without a pedigree and the moms don't have pedigrees either. The buyer who has held one asked about it already but then said even at the fair the show rabbits didn't have the pedigree. Then I just got an email from a potential buyer and when I said no pedigree they said no, thanks. So is it really necessary? How much should I drop the price due to not having it?

Most prefer rabbits with pedigrees because it gives a lot of genetic info and in well known lines may even help you know how good of type that rabbit and it's offspring might have or certain faults that are persisting in the breed in your area. However a pedigree is not necessary to show anywhere in the US.

You can start your pedigrees with the Rabbits you have.
Make the Doe and Buck the parents. When she kindles keep the two best Does and best Buck.
When they are old enough to breed and the Doe kindles the first two become the grand parents the original offspring become the Parents. It continues down the line until you can make a complete three generation pedigree. Hey, it has to start somewhere!
It's just quicker if you start with already pedigreed rabbits. Perhaps you can purchase the pedigree from the person you bought from, Or maybe not?
Ottersatin :eek:ldtimer:

Pedigrees are important to know what colors are in the back ground, which is definitely important for anyone who plants to breed.
We don't generally purchase rabbits without pedigrees, because we don't know if they carry the Vienna gene, or unrecognized colors.

Although you are not required to have a pedigree to show, you are required to have a pedigree if you ever want to register the rabbit, or be able to earn it's grand champion certificate.

Not having a pedigree does not mean your rabbit is not good quality. Just means it is a little bit riskier to use a breeding program for show rabbits.
I would definitely recommend you start keeping track, like the others said. You can get to 3 generations pretty fast in rabbits!

I wouldn't think a pedigree would affect sales much in the lower range ($25-$45), but would be much more of a problem $50 and up.

I know 3 generation will make up a pedigree, I am right that a baby would be pedigreed if you had the parents, grandparents and great grandparents? Or do you just need the grandparents and parents?

I couldn't sell anything even for $10 to the show crowd without a pedigree. They won't buy it. Often people won't even accept 3 gen peds here. The price is much lower for a minimum pedigree. I get handed 6-8 gen peds quite frequently. The 2 sable does I bought a few months back have 5 generations and the chocolate doe I bought last week has 6. My meat breeds had 6 minimum except the creme d'argent because there was NZ in the generation just off the pedigree so they cut it down to 4 to have a pedigree of all creme d'argents. Then I crossed her to my champagne d'argent and got self colors so I knew something was up.

Try contacting the breeder you purchased the show buck from, if he was not sold strictly as a pet it shouldn't be an issue. Some will say no, but it will give you a leg up sort of speaking at least with your buck. Can start keeping pedigree, but with Flemish that'll take close to 3 years (providing all breedings go perfectly and there is some thing worth keeping for breed back or breeding period out of each initial litter). Rabbits really should be bought at face value, what it is is what you get, BUT pedigrees IF correct help you fill in blanks as far as color/lines/possible type/size/etc.

Joplus":m810sk7r said:
I am selling my baby Flemish Giants in a few weeks. So I've posted a Craigslist ad and got a deposit for one so far. The dad is a show rabbit and won at the ARBA show but I bought him as a pet without a pedigree and the moms don't have pedigrees either. The buyer who has held one asked about it already but then said even at the fair the show rabbits didn't have the pedigree. Then I just got an email from a potential buyer and when I said no pedigree they said no, thanks. So is it really necessary? How much should I drop the price due to not having it?

Pedigrees are extremely important in the rabbit showing world. You can show a rabbit that doesn't have a pedigree, but if you are selling purebreds without pedigrees, they are as good as meat stock then. You can start your own pedigree with teh rabbits you already have though. I honestly would not sell any more rabbits until their pedigree is completed.
Anyone who is looking in buying a purebred rabbit will automatically expect a pedigree to come with it, and the breeder should automatically have some kind of pedigree on the rabbit whether it is parcial or complete. And price wise? I wouldn't go over $20 for a bun without papers, no matter how good the quality is.

~SDR

A three Generation Pedigree is all that is required:
Parents Grand and Great grand Parents. Yes there are
some with more generations on the Pedigree, but it is not required.
The benefit of the Pedigree is: You are not going to have to wait three generations
to have a pedigree on the youngsters you produce. Most of the work has already
been done for you. If you can I would suggest purchasing with a pedigree.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Back