Show me your hutches!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lop Mama

Mini Plush Lops Furever
Reaction score
I am building and adding onto my hutches and need some ideas! What do you guys use? What do you suggest? How do you like your nesting boxes? What's your manure system? And if you have other things you'd like to mention, please tell me! I would love to learn :)

I am building and adding onto my hutches and need some ideas! What do you guys use? What do you suggest? How do you like your nesting boxes? What's your manure system? And if you have other things you'd like to mention, please tell me! I would love to learn :)
I'll be following this thread! I'm currently building something for a few grow out cages and love new ideas! I'm building a wood stand to hold wire cages with a slide out tray for manure, then a catchment beneath that for urine, hopefully two cages high, inspired by the setup of @KelleyBee. I'll post pictures when it's done!

I'll be following this thread! I'm currently building something for a few grow out cages and love new ideas! I'm building a wood stand to hold wire cages with a slide out tray for manure, then a catchment beneath that for urine, hopefully two cages high, inspired by the setup of @KelleyBee. I'll post pictures when it's done!
Yay, would love to see it when your finished or even just what you have so far or your plans!

This is our set up! We built outdoor hutches

Attachments

• 76A970D2-0308-4B8F-9097-6A3ABE84D8CE.jpeg
    76A970D2-0308-4B8F-9097-6A3ABE84D8CE.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 32
A lot depends on your location. In Texas heat is a big killer so my cages need to have a lot of ventilation. There are tons of wild rabbits, it doesn't get cold enough to kill parasites, and we have a plethora of coyotes. There is no way I could put my rabbits on the ground in a tractor with chicken wire. Because I got my rabbits all of a sudden, I use dog crates that were supposed to be a temporary fix until I found out how handy they actually are and how well they work. I line the bottom with 1" x .5" fencing or 1/2" hardware cloth depending on the size of the rabbit. I also have two 6' x 32" cages made from the wire closet shelving. I replaced the bottoms in them with the same fencing and they work really well. I have dividers that I can add or move to make sections for multiple rabbits if needed. Most of my cages hang from the rafters using the wire you put along the top of the chain link fence. It's much cheaper than chain and works great. If any of these ideas sound interesting, I would be glad to post some pictures.

A lot depends on your location. In Texas heat is a big killer so my cages need to have a lot of ventilation. There are tons of wild rabbits, it doesn't get cold enough to kill parasites, and we have a plethora of coyotes. There is no way I could put my rabbits on the ground in a tractor with chicken wire. Because I got my rabbits all of a sudden, I use dog crates that were supposed to be a temporary fix until I found out how handy they actually are and how well they work. I line the bottom with 1" x .5" fencing or 1/2" hardware cloth depending on the size of the rabbit. I also have two 6' x 32" cages made from the wire closet shelving. I replaced the bottoms in them with the same fencing and they work really well. I have dividers that I can add or move to make sections for multiple rabbits if needed. Most of my cages hang from the rafters using the wire you put along the top of the chain link fence. It's much cheaper than chain and works great. If any of these ideas sound interesting, I would be glad to post some pictures.
I'd be interested in some pics... please. 🙏 🐇

Our hutches are 12x12x16 ". The back half of the top is hinged. It is closed during the winter as we use them year round. Gets 40 below often.
During the warmer months I have a wire that holds the lid open and makes into a 12x16" raised platform for mama to get some space. The pens are 30x44, 18" tall and made to fit 4 pens inside the greenhouse over winter.
Our rabbits do not soil there boxes. And cleaning takes just a minute or so a few times a year. received_3923447154377558 (1).jpegreceived_958988461584122.jpeg20210314_172653.jpg20210314_172145.jpg20210314_172033.jpg20210314_172017.jpg20210323_081953.jpg

Our hutches are 12x12x16 ". The back half of the top is hinged. It is closed during the winter as we use them year round. Gets 40 below often.
During the warmer months I have a wire that holds the lid open and makes into a 12x16" raised platform for mama to get some space. The pens are 30x44, 18" tall and made to fit 4 pens inside the greenhouse over winter.
Our rabbits do not soil there boxes. And cleaning takes just a minute or so a few times a year. View attachment 29582View attachment 29583View attachment 29584View attachment 29585View attachment 29586View attachment 29587View attachment 29588
I wouldn't call either of those hutches but they still look nice

Back