Should we keep a neglected bunny with our pets or find her a new home?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyHeintz

Reaction score
Me and my partner have been seeing this bunny running around the neighborhood, and after a couple hours the neighbors would come back out and chase it down and bring it back into their house.

Well today my partner called me on my way home from work, and told me that she walked outside while the neighbors and their bunny were outside and she said the bunny was cute.

The neighbor lady was like “do you want it?” And my said no at first (because we have two dogs and two birds already) then the lady said that their plan was to take the bunny somewhere and drop it off, like taking the bunny for a car ride and leaving it. That or leave the bunny in its cage by the curb on trash day with their dumpster. The neighbor said that she kept letting it out hoping either a hawk or coyote would get it, or that it would run off, but she said the just wouldn’t go away.

They said they just keep the bunny in their garage, leave it for days at a time while they’re gone from the house. Just leave it in its cage. The bunny spent the entire summer in the garage with no ventilation or consistent lighting, just sitting in the dark.

So my partner chased the bunny down, all the while the neighbor ladies little boy was trying to throw rocks at the bunny, thankfully they stopped him from doing so though.

She brought the cage in our house, the bedding was absolutely soaked in pee and there was just a layer of poop in there, some of it moldy.

So yeah. We’re keeping her as a trial to see if we can juggle all of these animals, otherwise we’re going to search until she finds a loving home that we trust. Her old cage is outside ready for trash pick up on Thursday and she has settled in nicely to her new habitat. We don’t have any information on the bunny, just that the neighbor lady got the bunny for her son as a “fun gift” and he hated the bunny. The bunny had no name, all we know is that she’s a female.

We’ve named her Toph, sat here and done research all day. Any and all advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated. We’re both animal people, and we want to make sure this bunny is as spoiled as our dogs and birds and as well loved and taken care of as possible.

I’ve attached pictures of her new enclosure thanks to you guys’s guidance, I really appreciate all of the help and advice!!

home 1.jpg

home 2.jpg
Rabbits Forum in DB-UK Community
home 3.jpg

home 4.jpg

home 5.jpg

Latest posts

Back