Should I buy them?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMTex

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have only one hutch left in my rabbit run. I intend to buy a proven BVNZ doe to fill it. I put a request in for that one.

Subsequently, I found an ad for mutt rabbits, 3 months old to breeding age for $5.00 each. What to do? These are left overs from a guy who sells rabbits for Easter. They sound like they're too old for fryers, but maybe some can be roasters. I'd be hard pressed to raise a rabbit for $5.00.

Should I buy and process them?

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Just be sure to keep them far away from your stock until they are processed.

It might be a good idea to bring home only as many as you can process in one day, and then pick up more if you want them.

For what it's worth, my .02 cents is that it wouldn't hurt to look at them, but make sure they're all healthy. Wouldn't be worth bringing them home if there was any possibility of infecting your place with anything. The more "closed to outsiders" you can keep your rabbitry, the healthier it will likely be. That is a good price for rabbits just for meat though. Like you said, it would cost more than that to get them to that age for processing.

That's a good idea to keep them away from my stock. I'd be processing them as soon as I got them home since I don't have room. (Unless there's an exceptional rabbit in there).

I'll probably buy them. I texted my wife and she says I already know the answer. She knows me better than I do. :)

at that price, and you could process them the same day.
Oh yes I would get them, and send them to freezer camp. the price is right.

Well, I bought all he had. 6 total and I might keep one. I was going to process them today, but it's getting late. My wife helped me put them up in 2 cages for overnight and I gave them alfalfa hay and water.

I'll dispatch 4 tomorrow and hold on to the potential keepers until I figure out which one I want. I tested all of them for temperament and 4 are pretty wild. My wife and I are still bleeding from handling them. 2 are fairly docile.

They're in our living room and the main dining room for tonight. We don't have a place for them outside that's safe from the dogs. It's pretty funny to have them in here.

The couple that had them were awesome! They had quail, chickens, rabbits and all sorts of veggies going. They were kind enough to sell us some tomato plants and other goodies. They also sent us home with some Swiss Chard. I love Swiss Chard. :)

<edit> It looks like my mind has been made for me as far as which one to keep. My wife adopted one this morning as a pet. We still don't know if it's a buck or doe. Not that it matters if the wife wants it. :) </edit>

TMTex":3tzgglqd said:
It looks like my mind has been made for me as far as which one to keep. My wife adopted one this morning as a pet. We still don't know if it's a buck or doe. Not that it matters if the wife wants it. :)

Smart man! :)

Latest posts

Back