should I breed her yet?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Normally I just breed my rabbits as soon as possible because I had plenty of extra rabbits and most were commercial breeds raised for meat. I spent a fair amount on these purebred netherlands though and don't want to mess up their growth or increase the risk of a stuck kit.

I have a sable martin 4 1/2months, 1lb 12oz. Her ancestors range from 2lbs to 2.06 full adult weight. She's been indoors under lights for nearly 2 weeks. You think I should try putting her with a buck? Should I use my smallest buck? I'd rather breed her to the other buck to set the nonextension gene in my tiny herd, but provided she survives her first kindling I could always get a litter from the nonextension buck later. I'm just impatient. :p:

If you have any doubt, I would wait. You spent a lot on her so I'd be cautious.

However, I breed my rabbits young and some people think that's bad. I don't.

I have Jersey Woolies and Polish, so they are about the same size as the ND. I like to wait until 6 months to breed them. The youngest I've bred a doe was 5 months, but she had a bigger broody type of body. It went fine for her. I just like to give them time to fully develop. :)

Latest posts

Back