Shipping rabbits from the UK to the USA

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imogen Rose

Reaction score
I just had an idea, and thought I would put it out there to see if there would be any interest.
I'm unsure if this is the right place to post as well :)
So I have also put it in Buy/sell/trade, sorry if this isn't allowed :oops:
Im planning on a holiday to Anderson SC from London UK in early summer, if I can get the finances together. I have been many times before and have friends there.
Would anyone be interested in me bringing rabbits over with me?
I would be landing in Atlanta GA or Charlotte NC... And its quite easy to get rabbits transported from anywhere in the UK to near London.

Just thinking really, any thoughts?

Do rabbits have to go through the Customs quarantine?

EDIT: did my own checking. Wiki says no quarantine, but that there are issues with airlines allowing rabbits to be transported in the cabin.

Interesting idea . . . but I would be concerned about the possibility of transporting a disease along with the rabbits. Strict quarantine would be a good idea.

By the way, Imogen Rose, I deleted the duplicate of this topic that you posted in the Buy, Sell and Trade forum. Please remember to post a topic only once. :)

Thankyou, sorry for duplicating :oops:

It was just a thought really, as I assume you cant ship rabbits without a person to accompany them. so if someone was thinking of flying here to get rabbits anyway, it would be a bit simpler. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:31 pm __________ <br /><br /> I found this here... http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/s ... on-745174/

I took my rabbit with me from Amsterdam to LA when I first moved to the USA. But the process will be the same for you since the import is the hardest part.

Generally, you should expect far more hassle from your airline than from US customs. I had to fight until the last minute of check in at Schiphol to get my rabbit onto a flight without proof of a 'rabies innoculation'. I actually took my case so far with United that they changed their exotic pet policies (for the better) specifically because of me But at Dulles Airport all that customs did was confiscate the hay in the rabbit's carrier. They inspected no paperwork.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_exp...rts_pets.shtml

"APHIS does not have animal health requirements for the importation of fish, reptiles, lions, tigers, bears, mink, rabbits, sugar gliders, foxes, monkeys, endangered species, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats, chinchillas, squirrels, mongoose, chimpmunks, ferrets, or other rodents provided they have not been inoculated with any pathogens for scientific purposes."

Here is a good checklist.

Check with the department of agriculture in the state of your destination for any rabbit specific rules. None that I have dealt with have had any requirements.

Confirm carriage requirements of the airline. Either get confirmation via email from customer services or print out the relevant parts of the airline's website for carriage of rabbits. Take these to the airport with you.

Get a certificate of health from a vet about a week before you fly. This is also mainly for the airline who can point blank refuse to carry any pet without one. US Customs probably won't care, but is handy to have if you get an agent who wants to be thorough.

Rabbits travel very well as checked baggage. In actual fact some say this is less stressful than the cabin where there is more movement and noise. Familiarize your rabbit with it's carrier in advance of your journey. Pet shipping companies are a bad idea. Bunny will spend more time in transit which is not good and operatives at these companies are generally unfamiliar with rabbit care.

For their faults at the airport because of poorly trained ground staff in my specific case, United are a good rabbit friendly airline and I'd recommend them.

Also remember that the biggest risk for travelling rabbits is their gut doing into stasis, which is fatal. Put plenty of hay, leafy wet greens or something like pellets and hard alfalfa cubes in the carrier for it to eat. Even if they take only a few bites, that can be enough to keep the gut moving.

It depends on the airline....I have flown with rabbits on Frontier airlines. Check with some others like British Airways, etc.

PSFAngoras":1gypcv0u said:
This is WAY to tempting to know...

DH is going to ask for a divorce if I start importing rabbits from across the pond!

If you buy them in the US... how's he gonna know where they came from? :mrgreen:

If you were landing closer I soooo want some harli ND and there are only a handful of breeders here making them from crosses with hollands. They aren't anywhere near as far along as the ND in other countries that I've been finding breeders. I can't afford to spend much on this project at this time though.

Imogen Rose":2gfjcvmh said:
I just had an idea, and thought I would put it out there to see if there would be any interest.
I'm unsure if this is the right place to post as well :)
So I have also put it in Buy/sell/trade, sorry if this isn't allowed :oops:
Im planning on a holiday to Anderson SC from London UK in early summer, if I can get the finances together. I have been many times before and have friends there.
Would anyone be interested in me bringing rabbits over with me?
I would be landing in Atlanta GA or Charlotte NC... And its quite easy to get rabbits transported from anywhere in the UK to near London.

Just thinking really, any thoughts?

I could surely go for a Continental Giant or two... :mrgreen:

Well, Conti Giants are pretty easy to find over here, so that wouldnt be a problem...
I have met a chap breeding lutino dwarf lops, and I have seen a few ND's in Lutino...
Im terribly tempted to bring bunnies back with me too... :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:16 pm __________ <br /><br /> I dont know the ins and outs of costing atm, but im researching various options.

Back