Shed and cages-homemade vs store bought

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Her Farmstead Rabbitry

Reaction score
I am thinking about expanding my rabbitry. I currently have a 5-bay outdoor rabbit hutch and a tractor. I want to expand and have more rabbits. My ideas is that I build a 12x14 shed with 3-high stacker cages inside. I could fit at least 21 cages in there. The down side is it would most likely not have electricity unless I did solar. And it would be expensive. Like $900
Thoughts and Opinions anyone
And Second question-
I want to build the cages myself to save like $200. I am worried about the durability and rust. The wire would be 14 gauge 1x2 and 16 gauge 1x1/2. What do you guys suggest with it all?

If you’re creative, you can probably save money that way. If you go with spec recommended materials (from my research), you’ll end up with lots of extra wire and unless you eventually use it, you’ll spend more on making your own than on buying pre-cut kits online. But, if you can find the cage wire in the recommended sizes and not have to buy and ship a whole roll of everything, that all changes.

You could use skids to build the shed. I built a whole shed this past year using skids for the floors and sides. Scrap lumber for the roof, and newish 2x4's to reinforce. There are lots of ways to build cheap. Skids (at least here) are easy to find cheap or free. if you live in snow make the entrance away from the prevailing winter winds, wrap the sides in tarps/plastic. Leave the entrance open for easy ventilation.

What are skids? And are you talking about a shed that has no walls?
Skids are another way to say pallet.

And it sounds like they were talking about a 3 sided shed with the sides also wrapped in plastic to cut the wind and leave the door side open but pointing away from the winter winds.

You could use skids to build the shed. I built a whole shed this past year using skids for the floors and sides. Scrap lumber for the roof, and newish 2x4's to reinforce. There are lots of ways to build cheap. Skids (at least here) are easy to find cheap or free. if you live in snow make the entrance away from the prevailing winter winds, wrap the sides in tarps/plastic. Leave the entrance open for easy ventilation.
Can you post pictures?

Where did you get the pallets?

from my hubby's workplace and rona. You just need to look around. around here, pallets are everywhere. A couple came from my job. Just make sure they are about the same size style if you want to make it easier.

Latest posts

Back