she had 8! (new pics at 5 weeks)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
Pics of the first litter out of my NZR doe X with my little broken mutt buck...8 kits: 4 chestnut/agouti, 2 red, 1 broken red, and 1 broken agouti...
litter1.jpg
look at the funny broken markings...
redkit.jpg

agouti.jpg

The mutt is mostly white, with a few agouti/chestnut spots and no nose butterfly--alllmost a charlie, but not quite. I am surprised at how little white there is on these kits--anyone have any idea why? How is pattern genetically determined on a broken?

Here is my broken red--the most rufous of the bunch...
kit1.jpg
Here is one of the agoutis with a fair bit of rufous in it--I should take a pic side by side with non-rufous agouti...later.
kit2.jpg
Here are the other 2 "reds" showing how NOT red they are--very few modifiers from mutt buck I assume.
kit3.jpg
Here is one with Mom!
kit4.jpg

I actually saw this when I bred my broken red buck to a red doe. They were all red, but the markings were similar to that one. I've been told that it is common and that most will not have the 'normal' patterning. I don't know how true this is, since it only happened once. Sorry, I'm not too much help.

Oh, they're adorable! :bouncy: Congratulations!

I have bred a chestnut agouti to a black-eyed white doe (the colors of the offspring have since borne out the hypothesis that she's a red with a chinchilla gene, making her white). The litter was two white, one chinchilla, one chestnut agouti, one broken chestnut agouti, one red, and two broken red (one barely broken, the other mostly white).

Breeding the broken chestnut agouti son back to the black-eyed white mother produced almost exactly the same array; breeding him to his chinchilla sister produced somewhat similar results, but with a couple of barely broken chestnut agouties and a broken chinchilla, and an odd little bun with chinchilla on the sides and light chestnut agouti on the back.

All of that to say, rabbit color genetics are interesting, and I have no idea what causes one rabbit to be barely broken and another to be mostly white... so I haven't exactly been helpful, and I have wondered myself what it is that decides where the spots go on a broken, how many of them there are, and how much white there is and where. :)

I found this link that suggests some reasons why these kits may have fewer white markings, there are modifiers to the pattern markings like the rufous modifiers on red rabbits, and also an interaction from dutch genes could be involved, since the boy was a mutt...I am going to have a tougher time getting the markings I wanted, it seems. Oh well, I bet I will get there in a few generations with this information...Line breeding may increase the modifiers and was part of my plan anyway.

http://rexrabbit.tripod.com/brokengene.html

Congratulations! They are certainly looking good! I love the barely broken pattern on the last two kits! Were you going for more white?

Thanks all! Yep, I want to eventually get more white out of this doe, but this was just the little mutt, so, eh, no big deal.

Maggie those are the only Herfords that will fit on my place! :lol: Wait until I tell my husband that I am growing him a steak!!

Anntann":eyqo0qr7 said:
What lovely color they have :) spots and color and BIG kits :) congratulations!!
Ann, those are big? I think they are tiny...but I never used to get into the nest box for the first week. You all convinced me the sky wouldn't fall if I did. :oops: I actually even have fairly big hands, so they don't just look big in comparison....

see, and I was thinking you had LITTLE hands, because they are so LARGE, even compared to that one litter of NZ I had...<br /><br />__________ Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:32 pm __________<br /><br />I mean the popples are large
:)

Back