She doesnt like her nestbox?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
My doe is due to kindle on May 22nd with her 3rd litter. I put the nestbox in like always, same place in the cage as last 2 times. For some reason she wont use it :hmm: She has started to make a nest at the opposite side of the cage, already pulled some fur, and is now using the nestbox as her potty spot. Should I remove the box and let her keep the nest in the open, or should I encourge her to use the box? Will the babies be fine if they are not in the box? My main concern is the will wander away from the nest and not get fed and die.

Oh she is in the house, not outside and it is supposed to be in the mid 70's low 80's this week so hopefully that will be warm enough for the babies.

Do you have an extra nestbox? If so, put it where she has begun the nest on the wire, but leave the "potty" box in the cage as well. With a little luck she will use the second box for the kits. Some does just really prefer a box for pottying. After this litter, giving her a plastic dishpan for this purpose with some shavings in it may help her to keep her nest box for kits.

I will try that and see if it works. It is just weird because she has never done this before, she has always used the nestbox. Maybe I put it in too early? I put it in Wednesday because she was starting to nest early normally I put it in only 2 days before she is due.

Also she is not in a wire bottom cage. I put my does in a solid bottom cage after they are bred. Makes cleaning a pain, but I am always afraid to have kits on the wire. So far I have never lost a kit (knock on wood!)<br /><br />__________ Mon May 23, 2011 11:49 am __________<br /><br />Cupcake had 6 :p kits early this morning!! it looks like 4 of them are double mane :D 2 are single mane. She never did use the nestbox, she just started nesting on the other side of the second box so I just took it out and let her nest where she wanted. She really outdid herself this time pulling fur she is bald in spots. Not too sure of the colors yet 1 looks to be white 1 is white with a couple of blue spots on the back 2 are for sure blue and look to be Vm's and 2 are either black or dark blue also Vm's.

Attachments

• IMG_1097.JPG
    IMG_1097.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 610
It sounds like you might have put it in too early. Two of my does will start "nesting" a full weak ahead of time. Perhaps just going back to your former schedule next time, providing a nestbox on day 28, would prevent the problem from happening again. :)

Back