Shaving a rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnelsonfla

Reaction score
While I was a the show this weekend a lady who had the same breed as I, asked if she could shave her rabbit down. She said "your rabbits have such nice coats how do you do that?". I keep mine indoors and at around 40% humidity. She keeps hers outdoors and in Florida that humidity is normally 80% or higher. Now I know the coat seems to be better in the cooler months regardless of where you live. My rabbitry is around 73-80 degrees(same as house) and is between 37-41% humidity, year around. I told her I would advise not shaving. Her rabbits where between 2-3 years old she got this year from a prominent Havana breeder in Florida. Even her Jr's where stained and sun shaded. Is there anything she could do for her rabbits?

The only thing you can do I think is wait for a molt and put them in more shade! Mine are in pretty good shade and don't get sun burned at all through the summer.

Her concern was all her rabbits where like that and some had been like that for over a year. She has moved them inside to an old horse barn. She has shaved dogs, sheep and feels comfortable with the rabbits thinned skin. I just didin't know if it would help or how quickly it would grow back.

The hair would not "grow back" it has to molt out. Shaving it will just make a bald rabbit until the rabbit molts and grows the hair back. I really don't know what the problem can be unless her rabbits just have bad color?

Yeah it was a random question that I had never heard of and she seemed put off by the judges comments, even thou they all looked the same. It was even hard to tell the Blue was a Blue and the Chocolate's looked almost Orange. I had told her they should molt it out this coming winter. She seemed to want a quick fix and I had no answer for her. I told her it would not effect her rabbits if she bred them. She said she has moved them out of direct sun, and hopefully that helps.

Back