sharp wire edges

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imajpm

Reaction score
I need an easy/simple way to get rid of those sharp wire ends that come from cutting hutch wire. Some of them I just bend out of the way since my hands get tired of the wire snips really quickly but those edges around the doors get me on a regular basis. Any tips would be great!

I forget what it's called,
but you can purchase a Plastic edging that comes in strips.
You cut it to fit and use it to cover the edges around the Cage Door.
Probably can find it in Bass Equipment Catalog.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Plastic door edging. Costs about $1.50 or so for a five foot piece.

I think I need to grind of invest in the real cover... my guys all eat the duct tape (even the rainbow colors LOL) and flip the report spines off every time I put them on (and it is TOUGH to get those on!).

lol I have some well behaved guys and some chewing fiends too! Those are good ideas thanks. I have a dremel around here somewhere. I'll have to see if I have a grinding bit. But if not, I am going shopping for router bits and can just pick one up while I'm there. Tired of getting poked and in late fall my darn sweaters always get grabbed!

You can also use two or three layers of duct tape. Not the gray or funny colored duct tape that holds everything except duct work. I'm talking about the adhesive backed aluminum tape. The stuff is about $6 a roll or so, but is worth it.

For a couple of my cages, I used corner bead. Just bend them around the wire. I do have one buck that somehow gets the bottom piece off of it somehow though. I may use some redneck ingenuity and tie wire it to the cage?

sealey_bg200xl.jpg

Bench grinder. :D

Least work and best solution would probably be the regular door edging they sell specifically for that purpose. Grinding would be the only longer term method but it won't make as good of edge as covering the wire and will take longer.

Our cage guy cuts the openings just before the weld for the next wire then bends the "open ends" back so there are no sharp edges and you don't have to worry about keeping anything on to cover them either, plus there is no extra cost. I guess it is a little more work to do the bending. I'm not at the house right now or I'd take a picture to explain it better.

Latest posts

Back