Shaded Babies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volz83

Reaction score
I have four very sweet three day old shaded babies. They are out of a Siamese Sable buck and Tort Dam whom carries shaded has her hidden C gene and is a dilute carrier (not sure about the buck). I am very familiar with sable point color, how it develops from kit to adult but what I am not sure about is Siamese Sable and Smoke Pearl kits. I have one kit in this litter that I thought could be a Siamese Sable kit however it's turning a beautiful dove/blue grey. I know it's not a blue point (I've had some of those to) and not anything shaded (i.e. sable point/blue tort) because it has zero shading on the flanks (like shaded kits do such as sable points & blue points) and it has even color distribution all around except for around the eyes/feet/tail/ears. For those familiar with those two colors as kits, does it look like a Siamese Sable or Smoke Pearl? It has to be one of these. lol

Here are the babies! I have a black (or seal), two sable points and then the blue/grey kit!
R2.jpg

R3.jpg

R4.jpg

R5.jpg

R7.jpg

R8.jpg

R9.jpg

I'd say that kit is blue something :)

Self blue
Blue Sable (AKA smoke pearl)
Blue Sable point (that is extra dark like the black sable point in the middle of the picture)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 1,217
Awesome! I thought it was blue something but this would be my first dilute baby besides from having blue sable points (blue point)! I had a breeder friend tell me that shaded like tort/sable points/blue points will always have the shading on the flanks/sides of belly because they are none-extension but that Siamese Sables or Smokes will not have any shading in that area because they are full extension so that is how you can tell at such an early age. I would LOVE a Smoke Pearl kit, literally that would be the jack-pot of genetics for me lol. Smokes are very rare in my area in Holland Lops (that is what these little guys are). I'll post an updated picture at age 5 days to ^_^

So you really think it is a dilute? Not that I mean to question your opinion, I was just never expecting a dilute kit lol! :)

I get blue torts, blue sable points and blue magpies (kit on far left) as well and I can tell them apart at birth (if not too light :) ) and the sables are always a chocolately/sepia smokey colour and the blues are "cleaner" looking with very little smuttyness

Pictures can be deceiving but this kit looks blue to me :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 1,209
Thanks! Here is the kit, just took pics of it in natural light, no flash etc. Kit looks exactly like in the picture.

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

44.jpg

55.jpg

I would say I am 99% sure it is not a blue point (blue sable point). I'm looking up pics of solid blue kits but they all seem to be a darker blue then mine. My kit seems to have like a shimmery tan color over it's whole body except for the feet, face etc (you can see what I mean in the first 3 pics). Either way, I'll post an updated pic on day 5 this Friday. ^_^

__________ Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:24 pm __________

Does this kit look like a smoke pearl for those that are familiar with this color? <br /><br /> __________ Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:21 am __________ <br /><br /> Small day four picture :) two sable points, one seal and then of course the mystery kit :)

1.jpg

4.jpg

Thanks! Here they are on day 5. I'm really stumped on the mystery kit lol With flash it looks a lot like a Siamese Sable but in person, it's pretty blue color and looks blue in natural light. Gotta love color changing babies!

Here is the bunch with out a flash:
16.jpg

With flash:
17.jpg

Mystery Kit with flash:
1.jpg

3.jpg

Flash:
11.jpg

Natural Light:
12.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

__________ Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:07 pm __________

Well I'm pretty confident my mystery kit is a Siamese Sable. I am baffled how blue it started out as and now the once very blue is now a dark smokey/blue/gray color. I just assumed if a kit is born blue it means it is a dilute?

1wa.jpg

1wd.jpg
<br /><br /> __________ Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:47 pm __________ <br /><br /> kit ended up being a Siamese Sable :)

10982466_903934372973188_5253290990781280355_n.jpg

11009855_903934406306518_2227578478079666629_n.jpg

Back