Sexing young rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunhallarabbitry

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I "attempted" (being the key word) to sex our two litters today. They are 3 weeks old, and so far everyone still looks the same to me. Unless the whole 2 litters are girls :p

Could you guys give me some tips? Pictures of sexing young rabbits would be a great help! Most websites I've seen are for older rabbits.

Thank you!

After a while it gets easier... I am just starting to have a decent guess... I will check my girls again in a week or two just to make sure!

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I read that you can sex them at 3 weeks. I'm guessing that's for experienced people :p
Thank you for the link as well!

I always sex mine at 3 weeks. The does are easier at that age, bucks are a diffrernt story. I have had 1 out of 3 litters that I thought was a buck but when I rechecked at 5 weeks he was a doe :oops:

MaggieJ":3py6aizq said:
Here's a link to some pictures to help you sex young rabbits. These are seven weeks old and it is easier at that point. I never bother to try to sex them younger than that.

http://www.rudolphsrabbitranch.com/sexing.htm

Likewise, I didn't really bother trying to check for sex until I weaned them at 7 weeks, and it worked well. Before that, it was difficult to the point that it was just glorified guesswork.

When I do check, I try to go by something a fellow breeder taught me years ago:

If you find a slit, it's a doe you get.

If it's shaped like a tube, it's a buck, dude!!

I can sex them at about 3 days and my results have been positive. :) I do of course always recheck at 3 weeks and then again at 6 weeks. I do believe I have only been wrong a few times, like maybe one in each litter (and I am talking of litters 5-8 kits).

I look for the shape of the openning and how far the genitals pull away from the anus. I have noticed with male that the hole (this is at 3 days btw) is round in shape and when gently pulled away from the anus, it moves much further than a females and will even start to take on the tube shape. Females appear to have more of a slit and do not move far from the anus if at all when gently pulled.

Like I said though I have been wrong a couple of times but I would say of of every 50kits I would maybe mis-sex less than 10 of them. :)

Back