Sex Change Fairy

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatinsRule

Reaction score
All of the whites from the foster litter turned out to be bucks. I thought I had gotten 2 does out of the litter, at least until I caught one trying to mount another of his cage mates tonight!!! Between the cals and whites in that litter, I wound up with 1 doe and 8 bucks.

Oh well, I guess the mothering experiment I had planned will have to wait until another day. :evil: :evil: :evil:

!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel for you.
That is why I am so far behind in breeding.

I think I've had 20 litters from Jan to now, and only have four new does to show for it, and one I am going to cull, two are not the color I want to keep. And the other is on day 60 and won't accept a buck.

Lots of litters of bucks, and it's driving me crazy!!!!!!!

I feel for you. Out of my litters I've been getting primarily bucks :( Recently, I had to cull the one doe born out of 5 bucks because she was just god awful. I've kept only 1 doe out of all my litters! BOOOOO

skysthelimit":1plyv01g said:
!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel for you.
That is why I am so far behind in breeding.

I think I've had 20 litters from Jan to now, and only have four new does to show for it, and one I am going to cull, two are not the color I want to keep. And the other is on day 60 and won't accept a buck.
Lots of litters of bucks, and it's driving me crazy!!!!!!!

Be patient with that doe. I waited more than a year before Londa finally took this past spring, and I wound up with some AWESOME rabbits out of her. Of the 4 babies she had in her litter, ALL wound up being does. Funny, I really could have used a buck in her litter.

I really could have used an up-n-comer white doe, though.<br /><br />__________ Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:18 am __________<br /><br />
Peach":1plyv01g said:
I feel for you. Out of my litters I've been getting primarily bucks :( Recently, I had to cull the one doe born out of 5 bucks because she was just god awful. I've kept only 1 doe out of all my litters! BOOOOO

No, rather I feel for YOU!!! That is absolutely rotten luck. Makes me feel better.

I feel for all of US :-D I have 2 litters 4 does 15 bucks
2 Im keeping as they are Mischif's Grand Daughters ( I have a huge soft spot for his line) but they are also nice big girls out of a flemish giant and my Lucky. Thats all I am keeping for a while unless I get a spectacular REW NZ girl next year out of Dee Dee

I wonder if the heat has any thing to do with it. I know will reptiles(snakes) the warmer it is above ideal you get males and 1 or 2 degrees lower will have higher percentage of females, interesting. I know recently when I was looking for blue Havana's I had one breeder have 4 bucks in one litter, and another had 4 of 5 bucks.

Wow! :shock: That is a lot of bucks.

Hopefully you will get the reverse ratio in the next litters to even things out!

I know that rabbits are induced ovulaters, but I wonder if the eggs are released faster when a doe is purple as opposed to pink? "Male" sperm swim faster but die sooner than "female" sperm, so it might be possible to influence the outcome in a litter by breeding earlier or later in the doe's cycle.

Don't make assumptions because of "mounting". Does do that too as a "pecking order" thing.

Cindi Davis":2yonmaia said:
I feel for all of US :-D I have 2 litters 4 does 15 bucks
2 Im keeping as they are Mischif's Grand Daughters ( I have a huge soft spot for his line) but they are also nice big girls out of a flemish giant and my Lucky. Thats all I am keeping for a while unless I get a spectacular REW NZ girl next year out of Dee Dee

!!!!! (screaming) !!!!

dogs are very happy. but I have no upcoming replacements, nothing to show in the fall.

Legacy":1qyhutjt said:
Don't make assumptions because of "mounting". Does do that too as a "pecking order" thing.

No assumptions here. I checked each of them physically, and indeed they are showing their equipment.

Satin-----remember we were talking about when a buck should show his pieces. Well I still haven't had a Rex before 5-6 mos, but I was checking my little hollands, they were caged together and getting close to 12wks (10-11). Well I turned the little guy over, and there they were, clear as day through all that holland fur!

skysthelimit":sezwwpcu said:
Satin-----remember we were talking about when a buck should show his pieces. Well I still haven't had a Rex before 5-6 mos, but I was checking my little hollands, they were caged together and getting close to 12wks (10-11). Well I turned the little guy over, and there they were, clear as day through all that holland fur!

Yep. Some of them come of age a little more quickly than others, I guess.

Latest posts

Back