Sewing projects

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alforddm":3ewj3o15 said:
Here is the batman cape I just finished for Cody. He will be 6 on Monday. I had made a cape for him when he was 3 so that he could be Super Cody (it has a large "C" on it) but he decided he's to big for that one. I've been told I have to make a Robin one for Colton (who's 3).

And the the image of my main sewing machine. I've had it for about 15 years. It's a singer 501a. I got the table a little over a year ago at a Salvation Army store. It originally had a absolutely pristine singer 630 Touch & Sew in it but I never could get it to work quite right. After doing some research those machines were notorious for not working right, which was probably why it looked new. :lol: :lol: I eventually gave it away but kept the table. It was worth what I paid just for the table anyway.

I think those Singers are so neat looking! I have seen a few pics before... nice looking cape, too!

Getting ready to craft binge for our church's bazaar next weekend. I don't even know where to start - I have some stained glass cut and needing to be ground down, but I think that will wait until tomorrow (I get too itchy). Sewing it is!! Some snowman ornaments first? Maybe a baby doll quilt or two? I have way too many ideas and unfinished projects :oops: Will try and at least get some sewing machine pics...

I think those Singers are so neat looking! I have seen a few pics before... nice looking cape, too!

Getting ready to craft binge for our church's bazaar next weekend. I don't even know where to start - I have some stained glass cut and needing to be ground down, but I think that will wait until tomorrow (I get too itchy). Sewing it is!! Some snowman ornaments first? Maybe a baby doll quilt or two? I have way too many ideas and unfinished projects :oops: Will try and at least get some sewing machine pics...

I have two singer 401a as well. One was a thrift store find and the other was in left in the barn of the first place we bought. Lucky me right? They are probably actually a bit better machines than the 501a but I love the retro styling of this machine so it's still my main user. I actually bought this machine and probably paid to much for it but I have loved it so I guess it was worth it.

You'll have to post pictures of your projects when you get them done. This has been a really fun thread for me.

alforddm":76dfj1yz said:

I have two singer 401a as well. One was a thrift store find and the other was in left in the barn of the first place we bought. Lucky me right? They are probably actually a bit better machines than the 501a but I love the retro styling of this machine so it's still my main user. I actually bought this machine and probably paid to much for it but I have loved it so I guess it was worth it.

You'll have to post pictures of your projects when you get them done. This has been a really fun thread for me.
I paid a ridiculous amount of money for the treadle I have, but it was because I wanted it to stay in the family. I have pined for it since I first saw it probably 15 years ago... I knew I wasn't leaving that auction without it, no matter how much it cost :oops: .

I want my grandmothers Kenmore machine to be my primary sew-er (without the dash it was sewer :lol: ), but there's something catching somewhere. It's fine for a while, then all of a sudden you can hear a faint 'pop' and the top spool spins out of control - even if it stays threaded correctly the underside is a mess. It seems more than just a simple tension issue. I don't know though. Other than that it seems fine.

heritage":1ns00z0o said:
alforddm":1ns00z0o said:

I paid a ridiculous amount of money for the treadle I have, but it was because I wanted it to stay in the family. I have pined for it since I first saw it probably 15 years ago... I knew I wasn't leaving that auction without it, no matter how much it cost :oops: .

I want my grandmothers Kenmore machine to be my primary sew-er (without the dash it was sewer :lol: ), but there's something catching somewhere. It's fine for a while, then all of a sudden you can hear a faint 'pop' and the top spool spins out of control - even if it stays threaded correctly the underside is a mess. It seems more than just a simple tension issue. I don't know though. Other than that it seems fine.

Take out the boobin and the boobin case and take a good look at the hook. It sounds like the hook may have a worn spot that is catching the thread. If so you should be able to buy a replacement.

alforddm":qf4yvutx said:
heritage":qf4yvutx said:

Take out the boobin and the boobin case and take a good look at the hook. It sounds like the hook may have a worn spot that is catching the thread. If so you should be able to buy a replacement.
What?!? My Kenmore is doing almost exactly the same thing! I've tried the tension over and over, and sometimes dialing all the way slack and then all the way tight and then putting it in the middle will get it to straighten out... but not always, and it's only a temporary fix (as in, maybe even only a few minutes, until I try to make a turn or something). Sometimes, taking the bobbin assembly apart and putting it back together will fix it. Or rethreading.

Thank you, Alforddm, I will have to take a close look at that hook! Maybe I don't need a new machine!

Oh -- and I LOVE YOUR MACHINE! So Jetsons! <3

Awesome Batman cape, too! :)

If the hook is really worn that can cause problem as well because the gap between the hook and the needle isn't right. Sometimes it manifests as skipped stitches. Hooks are usually pretty easy to replace although it will of course vary from machine to machine and of course I could be way off but that is what I would look at first.

I may be posting a picture for you to look at. I'm not good at bobbin anatomy. :) I just know how to take it apart and put it back together, and where to oil it.

I may be posting a picture for you to look at. I'm not good at bobbin anatomy. :) I just know how to take it apart and put it back together, and where to oil it.

alforddm":37frpwpt said:

Really?! Woot! I will check that tonight! I know many many hours have been logged on that machine over the years, but it hasn't been used in quite some time. She's 90 now... her eyesight made it difficult for her to do much starting 10-15 years ago. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:19 pm __________ <br /><br /> If I am looking at the correct part, it looks OK to me... I did attempt pics. If nothing else you can tell me if I am even looking at the right thing :lol:

Thank you for that, Alforddm!!! :p Heritage - top left pic on that link... first picture has "point of hook" with a line drawn exactly where you need to look! (Precisely the sort of diagram I needed. :lol: )

I pulled mine out, found the hook, and stroked my finger along it toward the point of the hook.

Know what I felt?

A burr on the tip!

My husband encouraged me to try some polishing paste like Brasso and a soft cloth. I'm going to try it! :p <br /><br /> __________ Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:39 am __________ <br /><br /> A little over a half hour, and the burr is gone! :p I used MAAS metal polishing paste, which my beloved Shay had on hand, and a bit of flannel. There was also a scratch on the top surface of the hook (visible through a magnifier), and that should be unable to snag anything now, if it had been a problem.

Now I can't wait to try it out... but it's half past midnight. :weep:

Oh my goodness... if this has been the source of all our heartache with this machine... that would just be amazing. :) Galadriel and I honestly spend about half of our time at the machine trying to get it to cooperate. It's very frustrating, and sometimes makes sewing not so enjoyable.

I hope it works!

The hook catches the thread and pulls it around the whole thing in a circle. You might want to run your finger around the entire outside edge and gently polish down any rough spots you feel. Don't be too aggressive with the hook point because that can cause timing issues.

If it doesn't work there are some other things you can try, like adjusting the timing. On some machines that easy to do and others, not so much. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:34 am __________ <br /><br /> Ya'll are evil. I'm now looking on ebay for good deals on the vintage machines I don't have...

I checked mine out and didn't see or feel anything... I did find a couple bigger chunks of oil caked lint, and one piece of fabric(?? it wasn't lint, but almost a cluster of fibers from something) stuck in the bobbin case.

I didn't realize you could adjust the timing of a sewing machine. I am going to take my computer down later and tinker a bit to see if there are any obvious things that are off. Now, referring to 1.2mm? I am not touching anything unless I know for sure! <br /><br /> __________ Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:18 am __________ <br /><br /> Here are my photo contributions...

Active machines... I have more :oops:, but plan on selling a couple of the others.

L-R

ODD's "parts" machine - I was able to find another whole machine plus case and pedal/power cord for less than a new cord would cost for the one I was given so I am hanging on to it in case it's needed...

Embroidery machine I was gifted as well... haven't done a huge amount, but it works well! Made a few hats for gifts one year.

My newest machine, the only one I can free motion quilt on. Was my primary until I started tinkering with the others.

DH's great uncles treadle. Works beautifully! I love sewing on it!

My grandmothers Kenmore (the one I am having issues with) and her mom's featherweight. I sewed the ornaments (below) on the featherweight. Very fun! Has all the attachments still as well. Even her certificate of completion from 1935.

Finishing up some projects I started a couple years ago - snowmen and cathedral window ornaments. Not great, but at least they are done.

Raffle quilt for our church bazaar. SIL (23) recently started getting into quilting so we did this one together. One HUGE flaw is that she didn't know about seam allowances when she pieced some of the blocks together so I am having to go in and "repair" a lot of areas that are coming apart :cry: . I washed it once and more popped open. A bit discouraging... Handquilted as well!

I checked mine out and didn't see or feel anything... I did find a couple bigger chunks of oil caked lint, and one piece of fabric(?? it wasn't lint, but almost a cluster of fibers from something) stuck in the bobbin case.

That could be the cause of the problem all by itself. Make sure you go over your machines once 1 a year or so (more if your sewing heavily) and use sewing machine grease on any of the gear areas and oil the other areas. It doesn't hurt to remove old grease using a degreaser at the same time and then re grease and re-oil as well. I'm not talking about just oiling the oil areas I'm talking about opening it up and checking everything on the inside.

alforddm":2c5tgtmn said:

That could be the cause of the problem all by itself. Make sure you go over your machines once 1 a year or so (more if your sewing heavily) and use sewing machine grease on any of the gear areas and oil the other areas. It doesn't hurt to remove old grease using a degreaser at the same time and then re grease and re-oil as well. I'm not talking about just oiling the oil areas I'm talking about opening it up and checking everything on the inside.

I am hoping that's all it was... I'll test it out once I start piecing the memory quilt. She had is serviced shortly before giving it to me, but who knows how good of a job they actually did.

heritage":16i2mytm said:

Raffle quilt for our church bazaar. SIL (23) recently started getting into quilting so we did this one together. One HUGE flaw is that she didn't know about seam allowances when she pieced some of the blocks together so I am having to go in and "repair" a lot of areas that are coming apart :cry: . I washed it once and more popped open. A bit discouraging... Handquilted as well!

That is so pretty! The seam allowance issue sure sounds frustrating to repair!! :x

alforddm":34tk9m4z said:
The hook catches the thread and pulls it around the whole thing in a circle. You might want to run your finger around the entire outside edge and gently polish down any rough spots you feel.
I will do that as soon as I have a chance. :)

Don't be too aggressive with the hook point because that can cause timing issues.
Oooooo... I hope I wasn't. I mean... I don't think I was, but I really have no idea. I just did all the sides of the hook until I felt no more burr, and then went across the tip of the hook with the polish for a couple of minutes to finish removing it there (I could feel a bit of burr right at the tip). Then I stopped.

If it doesn't work there are some other things you can try, like adjusting the timing. On some machines that easy to do and others, not so much.
Hopefully, I don't have to go there. I do have the manual, though.

Ya'll are evil. I'm now looking on ebay for good deals on the vintage machines I don't have...
What's so evil about that? :twisted: After all, if you buy more machines, maybe I can relieve you of that Jetsons model you have. :p

heritage":34tk9m4z said:
Take the top plate off, too -- where the sewing happens, right under the foot. I haven't done that in a while, and that's another thing I'll do today. I remember several years ago, when I took it off for the first time, I was surprised by the amount of thread and fibers were in there.

************* Time break *************

Okay, I started this post a couple of days ago, and we've been gone more than we've been here. :oops:

Miss M and Heritage have you had a chance to test out your machines?
I just put it back together a little while ago, and did the first sewing on it.

I'm going to have to open it back up. It's making this knocking noise while I sew -- like I'm striking pins, but I'm not. Maybe I didn't seat something properly.

I also realized that something I thought I was noticing is for real -- the pedal is heating up something awful, and it doesn't take nearly as much sewing to do it as it used to. I stitched the hem of BWK's shirt and the two sleeves, and it was really hot already. My husband says the rheostat is wearing out, and one day it'll get hot enough to melt the varnish on the wires inside. It'll short, and I'll see a flash and a puff of magic blue smoke, and that'll be the end of it. :( Guess I need to be careful not to do too much on it at one time, and let it cool off. A replacement (not made by Sears) is over $40 with shipping, and at this point, I'm not sure it's worth it.

Miss M - check eBay - I needed a pedal/cord for ODD's machine and was able to buy another whole machine, carrying case, and pedal/power cord for less than just the cord! It took a while, but with patience I finally found just what I needed. Soooo, now I have a parts machine for her!

It took a while for me to get the bobbin parts back in correctly. It was actually popping out... I just kept fiddling and turning it by hand until things settled in correctly.

Latest posts

Back