Several of my favorite rabbits died in the past few months.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a7736100

Reaction score
They were around 7 or 8 y.o. which is on the short end of life expectancy. They were the ones I tend to handle, pet, and hug the most because they enjoy interacting with me.

I assumed it was old age related. One doe had a tumor. I didn't do necropsy on the others.

I'm sorry for your loss and to go through such a difficult time. Why did they have to be several?

I'm breeding for 10 years now, and that issue is catching up the last couple of years. One reason for chosing rabbits over a cat or dog is my fear of loss, I avoid to get too emotionally involved with anything living, at least I try. It started out as a meat rabbit project, and now half of them are pets, my herd buck and his spayed cuddlebun Dotty sharing the house with me.

I still have the very first rabbit I got, Fury is 10 now, and her daughter Red aged 8, retired them at 7 and 5 from breeding (although Red got accidential pregnant last year, kit got stuck, got an emergency spay).

By now there are 3 little graves under the walnut tree, Dicker, my first herd buck died of shock after a fox attack aged 4, Magda was my second breeding doe and most likely died of a tumor aged 7 two years ago, and Herr Hase, my second herd buck and first permanent house bunny who had a progressing Athritis/spine issue so I had to get him euthanized last december, couldn't have done it myself.

I'm getting better at handling that, losing one or the other, good thing is that I'm not so focused on one, like I would be with a cat or dog, now I have 3 pairs: 2 breeding does Chantal and Ruth, my two retired does, and my free range house bunnys, still unnamed herd buck and Dotty.

Attachments

• Schwarze und Rote.JPG
    Schwarze und Rote.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo0370.jpg
    Photo0370.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Gartenhaus.jpg
    Gartenhaus.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I assume it's just they are about the same age and related to each other. I expect there'll be more deaths as I have more that's been around since 2014. Since they are outdoor rabbits subject to heat and cold stresses they may not live as long as indoor rabbits.

Latest posts

Back