Service rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmabb

Reaction score
I just got a ring that one of my rabbits is going to be a service animal to a child that has Autism. I'm so honored! :D

NZxCali cross. Not a huge rabbit and not a small rabbit. They wanted a medium size. They had other breeders in the area that would of worked just fine but they choose me out of all of them.
They are even registering the rabbit under Service Animal Registry of America (SARA) http://www.affluent.net/sara/

CMABB, according to the ADA, only DOGS and in certain cases, Mini Horses can be "Service Dogs" 28CFR36.102
now, as an "Emotional Support Animal, as define d by the department of Transportation, or as a 'prescribed' or 'Therapy pet" for Public Housing regulations,-- yes, But, NO PUBLIC ACCESS---

http://www.servicedogcentral.org ---- front page has access to a lot of information for those interested in knowing the differences AND the legalities...

Also NZxCali cross. Not a huge rabbit and not a small rabbit. They wanted a medium size. They had other breeders in the area that would of worked just fine but they choose me out of all of them.
They are even registering the rabbit under Service Animal Registry of America (SARA) http://www.affluent.net/sara/

This organization is not legally providing 'certifications'-- it exists simply to RIP OFF people---

Of course not out in public, just a at home therpy rabbit. There is also a AZ therpy animal Ass. she signing up to

DO NOT pay out any money for 'certification'!! It is a RIP OFF! If the rabbit is basically, a prescribed pet, the only term that has an accurate definition is "Emotional Support Animal" "therapy pets'-- The type people associate with Hospital visits, are normally tested and registered through either TDI or a small local group, to help ensure that the animal is not a danger to the people they are visiting. That organization supplies the liability insurance needed for invited access sites.(hospitals, libraries, schools, Nursing homes, etc...)

The boy has autism and a service rabbit just ment for home use only helps calm the boy down when an out bust of behavior comes. Helps teach them patience, to be calm and to relax. Basically what I do with my ADHD boy. I hand him a rabbit and he cams down.

It would probably be a therapy rather than service animal. Service animals have to be trained to do something while therapy animals provide help by simply existing and cuddling or whatever is required to distract and calm someone. Slight difference in the regulations and rules applied to the animal. We want to get Shimo certified as a therapy animal so she can visit certain places and people. Even certified they still are not allowed in stores and places where they are not performing their therapy duty for a group of people (one individual doesn't count) or in housing that normally does not allow pets while they are required to allow service animals.

Shimo had to see the vet today for an abscess from a flying leap to her cage she misjudged, she really needs to stop doing that, and he commented on her personality and then gave me the info for the person who runs most of the programs for therapy animals around here. Shimo's kits may all go be therapy animals depending how they mature since the buck is equally well tempered.

Impulse pet store buy has proven better than choosing well known breeders. I'll take a rabbitry of Shimo's without pedigrees over some of those psycho pedigreed mini rex that supposedly won so well in the area that people would drive from NY to IA to get her rabbits.

there's a lady here in Ontario who actually works with rabbits to turn them into therapy animals for children who need calming. One of mine went to her as a breeder.

Latest posts

Back