Seriously, I may possibly be ...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeenutdesigns

Reaction score
the worst rabbit processor EVER. It takes me forever. I have no idea what I'm doing. My rabbit is shredded before I even cook it. :roll:

:lol:

You'll get faster. :)

What parts are you having the most trouble with?

Don't worry about speed at all, concentrate on a good job first, the other comes with practice. I still end up with tears and I could care less, it's not like there's a test.

MamaSheepdog":2niuomyj said:
:lol:

You'll get faster. :)

What parts are you having the most trouble with?

It would be faster to list the parts I DON'T have trouble with :roll:

__________ Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:47 pm __________

I did get around the tail area better and didn't burst the bladder this time.

__________ Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:48 pm __________

The rib/back area is pretty impossible to deal with. I have no idea how to cut it/debone it/whatever you do with it.<br /><br />__________ Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:15 pm __________<br /><br />BTW...I did learn today to just not process on a windy day if your processing area happens to be downwind of the pig pen.

Backyard - YUCK - that is a terrible video and shame on you for bringing it up (just kidding)!

Coffeenut, if I transport rabbits down that way, I can bring a couple of freezer camp candidates and show you how to do it without shredding the meat, or hacking the skin/organs during butchering :D

bowbuild":1kuyaimf said:
Maybe you have seen my video, you can take the parts you like, and toss the rest... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpDmHG_8pwE

I will watch it. I did better than when I first started, but this girl was fatty and it was windy and my paracord broke (twice). Then I got lofty and figured I would try breaking it down. Before I have just freezered them whole. I should've watch videos BEFORE trying that, lol. It wasn't too bad, I don't guess. I did get the legs quartered out. I got the belly flaps for jerky for my son. The back tenderloin I destroyed pretty well.<br /><br />__________ Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:52 pm __________<br /><br />
bowbuild":1kuyaimf said:
Maybe you have seen my video, you can take the parts you like, and toss the rest... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpDmHG_8pwE

Um, I am not sure how giving me an inferiority complex is going to help anything. :shock:

J/k, that is a really good video. I don't think I will ever reach that level of proficiency, though.

I know. The sad part is that I 'should' know how to do these things. I grew up in a farming family. My brothers all hunt. I took a meat processing class once and I work for a caterer who hand cuts all his own meat. Now I have a kid who really wants to learn how to do this stuff and his dad is too busy working and is more of a food out of a box or window kind of guy, so I feel like it is my responsibility to teach him, but I haven't even fully learned yet. Oh, well. We'll learn it together I guess.

coffeenutdesigns":119dqyv1 said:
I feel like it is my responsibility to teach him, but I haven't even fully learned yet. Oh, well. We'll learn it together I guess.

Actually, that is an outstanding option right there. Even better if he becomes more proficient than you and is able to teach you a thing or two! :p

Yep! Learning it together will give you time together, and as each of you figures something out, you can show the other. It'll work out. :)

Even better!!! Watch the videos with the boy, talk about it, then go and practice it together! :p

One thing I've started doing to avoid having issues with the bladder is to squeeze/massage the belly area where the bladder is to get all the urine to come out. You can do it before hanging them, if you hang them. I do everything on a cutting board now and don't worry about hanging.

I did another one today. It went a little better. I used a super sharp filet knife that worked much better than the others I had tried. This time I had a LOT of blood around the neck, though. I use a pellet gun to the head, not cervical dislocation, so not sure what caused this. I haven't had that happen before.

I haven't broken it down yet. Gonna go back and rewatch some videos first!

Butchering is more a finesse thing than brute force.
Learning how to hold the knife is half the battle.
The other half is learning where to cut.
Look at pictures of rabbit anatomy.
Essentially, its a meat "H" with gooey innards.
My process is the same way i dress out a deer, pig, goat, or elk, just a smaller scale.
That being said, the fundamental aspects are identical.
There's a membrane between the meat and skin that let's the skin peel off like a banana, sort of.
Pm me if you'd like a quick step by step easy way that's simple to learn.
If i can talk someone through setting up an arrow rest over the phone who's never done it before, and have them shooting like a pro in under an hour, I'm pretty sure i can walk you through this. Its way more easy.

Back