Sensitive stomachs?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearmpr

Reaction score
I've been reading up on feeding rabbits homegrown veggies supplimented with pellets and I think it's a really good idea especially when it comes time to adjust their diets if needed. However the person I'm getting my new cali buck from feeds his rabbits strictly pellets, he told me he tried veggies (homegrown and store baught) and it gave his rabbits the runs along with parasites. Also, his rabbits seem to be coming from the same father for a while (fat Albert). I want to be able to feed my rabbits veggies from my garden, and I assume that maybe it's just a bloodline of sensitive stomachs. Is that an accurate assumption? I hope to get a couple does from another breeder in hopes that I can get away from this problem. What do y'all think? I also wonder if maybe he's inbreeding his rabbits too much? I didn't notice any weird behavior in them, they seemed calm but energetic. I also think maybe he tried to jump from feeding his rabbits pellets, straight to veggies which could give them the runs. But I don't know, helpppp :) thanks everyone

Essentially, many lines of rabbits are selected and culled for their ability to survive on just pellets.

Your best bet is to get rabbits that are already eating some kinds veggies or forage, that way you know they can handle it.

But if you can't find them, or really want a specific line, just start slowly, feeding them a bit at a time, and select for rabbits that thrive on a more natural diet.

I suspect that part of the problem your friend was having with feeding vegetables was that rabbits are not really vegetarians--they are herbivores. Many garden vegetables-carrots, beets, corn--are high in sugar, and many others--the brassicas particularly--have a tendency to cause intestinal gas. If you want to feed naturally, you would be safer starting the rabbits with certain weeds and tree leaves at first and then ease slowly into feeding vegetables. There certainly are vegetables that can be part of a healthy diet for rabbits, but sudden changes as you rightly point out can cause problems.

This list is by no means comprehensive, but it's a good start. safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

Hay is also very good for rabbits and helps them from developing stomach problems.

I assume that maybe it's just a bloodline of sensitive stomachs. Is that an accurate assumption?
Yes :D

A new buck I used in the fall turned out to be a real lemon for my goals of feeding more naturally and his spring kits couldn't handle any fresh greens, they were also more susceptible to nest box eye and coccidia :groooan:

I agree with the others that you need to get replacement stock from people who feed the way you want to feed or just work with what you've got :shrug: This which is what I'm doing - I've kept back a 3/4 American Chinchilla 1/4 Mini Lop buck who grew like a weed on forage and I am looking forward to see how his 7/8 AmChin 1/8 Mini Lop kits do :D

Dood":3ekxja09 said:
I assume that maybe it's just a bloodline of sensitive stomachs. Is that an accurate assumption?
Yes :D

A new buck I used in the fall turned out to be a real lemon for my goals of feeding more naturally and his spring kits couldn't handle any fresh greens, they were also more susceptible to nest box eye and coccidia :groooan:

I agree with the others that you need to get replacement stock from people who feed the way you want to feed or just work with what you've got :shrug: This which is what I'm doing - I've kept back a 3/4 American Chinchilla 1/4 Mini Lop buck who grew like a weed on forage and I am looking forward to see how his 7/8 AmChin 1/8 Mini Lop kits do :D

My meat mutts don't so as well on forage. I've been trying little by little for years now and through several generations. They struggle with very basic foods, like lemon balm. :shock:

The velveteen lops seem to have iron stomachs, I feed them any green thing that is lying around, and the house rabbit even gets bites of my gluten-free crackers and ginger snaps. (I don't believe rabbits have problems with wheat or gluten, I just don't have normal cookies or crackers for comparison)

Vegetables are given lightly, in small amounts, but veggie tops, sweet potato vines, corn husks and such are given in much larger amounts. Maybe I should imitate dood (usually a good idea IMO) and cross the lops into the meat lines to see if I get better forage rabbits. :shrug:

I was able to feed all of my rabbits infinite sweet potato tops last year with no digestive upsets at all. I wish I had more room to grow sweet potatoes.

I think the Mini Lops, and pet breeds in general, have to have iron cast stomachs to survive all the weird things they find, or are given - my house bunnies have been caught raiding the dogs bowl and eating rawhides :shock:

After the disaster with the above mentioned buck and the fact none of my Mini Lop crosses seem get hepatic coccidia, which still crops up in my meat buns :x I decided to keep a couple of the bigger 1/2 MLop does and then this guy grew exponentially and I made room for him :)

My Flemmish x NZ and his daughters kits are my healthiest big rabbits but they are HUGE and cleaning out their "poop pancakes" is become a real PITA :(

I agree with all the posters here, just wanted to add this: if you plan on breeding the rabbits you have now, you may have much better luck with the greens with the next generation of rabbits.

My buns start getting greens and veggies from the time they leave the nest box. I have yet to have a problem with them taking to eating the greens. Of course, some prefer specific plants over others, just like some of like spinach and some don't.

When I have brought rabbits in from elsewhere that were used to pellets only, I started them on quarter sized pieces of greens, and slowly moved them up to full helpings. Slow and steady wins the race.

Latest posts

Back