Selling weaned kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carebear

Reaction score
At the legal age of course. A friend is interested in maybe raising meat rabbits, and wanted to buy a couple of weaned kits, grow them, and process them himself. I'm not sure how much to sell them for.
Thanks all!

purebred? Pedigreed? Meat Mutts?

I'd be inclined to sell for $15-20. But I don't know what the market is in your area.

My brother in law lives in Camas Wa. he bought some meat rabbits, Calis. last weekend
he said he paid $25 ea for 8 week old kits.
he said the lady had meat mutts and she was asking $15 ea and they were about the same age as the calis.

They are AmChins, supposedly purebred, the guy I bought them from never gave me their pedigrees....I was thinking around $15-$20 each. It just seems like they would be an expensive dinner lol. I've invited him over for (D)ispatch day, and I would really like to sell him a pregnant doe. That would be much further down the line tho.

Get your local penny saver and look on Craigslist for what rabbits are going for in your area.

Down here pure bred NZs go for between $10 and $25 but 8 hours north they go for between $20 and $35 so you can find huge differences not too far apart.

If your friend is interested in raising stock to produce meat for the family but has no rabbit experience, selling weened kits are a good way to go. The rabbits and your friends confidence will grow together.

How old are they? If he's planning on keeping them alive, sell for breeder/part price. I have a feeling he will get attached. If he's just going to eat them, why buy them early? I'd sell for breeder prices.

Whipple":12ohqn6u said:
How old are they? If he's planning on keeping them alive, sell for breeder/part price. I have a feeling he will get attached. If he's just going to eat them, why buy them early? I'd sell for breeder prices.
They're going to be 8 weeks next saturday. He already has a pet rabbit, so yeah, attachment could be an issue.
I think I'll just have him over for d day and see if he wants a pregnant doe. Cuz paying $20 for them, feeding em for a couple weeks, from a cost standpoint it would be better for him to buy one dressed out.

Latest posts

Back