Selling live rabbits for butchering

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyFarms

Reaction score
I am curious to know some ways to handle people wanting to buy live fryers for them to butcher. Obviously the price would be much lower than if you sold it as breeding stock, so are there any reasonable ways to help ensure the rabbits are actually butchered and not resold or used in their own breeding program?

If there was a way to do that, it seems like it could be nice to sell an entire litter now and then a week after weaning for someone to finish raising to butcher-weight for themselves (like people do with pigs, for instance). I could keep my does bred more frequently that way and not have to fully raise all the litters. Plus, the person buying the litter would only have to manage one litter now and then without the breeding stock involved. Does that seem like a bad idea? Do any of you know if this is done already?

-I have read of people putting in a tattoo that says 'BUTCHER', 'CULL', 'MEAT', or 'EAT' in one ear to help discourage breeding or resale.
-What about some way to have a person pay the full breeding stock price for all the kits, and then refunding them the difference when proof is provided of the butchering via photos? Is there an app that would work for this to minimize risk for both parties?

Also, what things do you figure into a price for selling live for butcher rabbits? Looking online, rabbit meat is quite pricey, but I don't know what people would be expecting for rabbits they would butcher themselves. I kinda think lots of people would be looking for a good deal if they contact wanting a litter to butcher?

Thanks!

if you are selling a live animal, price it as if it is for sale as a breeding animal UNLESS YOU are doing the butchering. Doesn't matter what you put in the ear if you only use it for breeding.

The tattoo in the ear only matters for showing. and the tattooes I've seen in show rabbits... ain't gonna stop anyone. :)

Photos don't prove the rabbit was killed, all they prove is that "A" rabbit was killed. if you want a rabbit dead you need to make it so.

Bummer! That's what I was suspicious about. :( Thank you for the advice on this.

For the photos, I thought they would have to show the dispatched animal with the fur on still and whatever ear tattoo I put in (since they all have unique markings), but that's probably not even enough with how people are!

Bummer! That's what I was suspicious about. :( Thank you for the advice on this.

For the photos, I thought they would have to show the dispatched animal with the fur on still and whatever ear tattoo I put in (since they all have unique markings), but that's probably not even enough with how people are!
Do you mean like a picture of the dead rabbit ._.

I didn't sell a lot of rabbits, but people would buy the live rabbit and I would do the dispatching for them. What they did with it after that was up to them.

I did sell a whole litter to a slight acquaintance who wanted to increase her breeding numbers. But the price was always the same.

I had to quit raising rabbits in 2015, so the prices might be higher now, but around here at that time I asked $15. A fryer in the grocery store was about $25, so $15 seemed fair to both me and the buyer.

I am curious to know some ways to handle people wanting to buy live fryers for them to butcher. Obviously the price would be much lower than if you sold it as breeding stock, so are there any reasonable ways to help ensure the rabbits are actually butchered and not resold or used in their own breeding program?

If there was a way to do that, it seems like it could be nice to sell an entire litter now and then a week after weaning for someone to finish raising to butcher-weight for themselves (like people do with pigs, for instance). I could keep my does bred more frequently that way and not have to fully raise all the litters. Plus, the person buying the litter would only have to manage one litter now and then without the breeding stock involved. Does that seem like a bad idea? Do any of you know if this is done already?

-I have read of people putting in a tattoo that says 'BUTCHER', 'CULL', 'MEAT', or 'EAT' in one ear to help discourage breeding or resale.
-What about some way to have a person pay the full breeding stock price for all the kits, and then refunding them the difference when proof is provided of the butchering via photos? Is there an app that would work for this to minimize risk for both parties?

Also, what things do you figure into a price for selling live for butcher rabbits? Looking online, rabbit meat is quite pricey, but I don't know what people would be expecting for rabbits they would butcher themselves. I kinda think lots of people would be looking for a good deal if they contact wanting a litter to butcher?

Thanks!
Any live animal goes for the same price, no matter the reason for the purchase. I ca see any real advantage to selling off a litter on the cheap. For one thing, you can get full price for them at 8 weeks and you get a healthy meal for those who don’t sell. If they are going to raise for meat, making hutch and feed investments, then it begs to ask why not just breed their own.

I didn't sell a lot of rabbits, but people would buy the live rabbit and I would do the dispatching for them. What they did with it after that was up to them.

I did sell a whole litter to a slight acquaintance who wanted to increase her breeding numbers. But the price was always the same.

I had to quit raising rabbits in 2015, so the prices might be higher now, but around here at that time I asked $15. A fryer in the grocery store was about $25, so $15 seemed fair to both me and the buyer.

That is helpful information for me; thank you @MaggieJ ! I appreciate knowing what you charged for a fryer, too, as that was something I was a bit lost about figuring out for mine.

Last edited:
Any live animal goes for the same price, no matter the reason for the purchase. I ca see any real advantage to selling off a litter on the cheap. For one thing, you can get full price for them at 8 weeks and you get a healthy meal for those who don’t sell. If they are going to raise for meat, making hutch and feed investments, then it begs to ask why not just breed their own.

Those are good points- thanks for sharing! I have some people that can't have a full-scale rabbitry due to travelling or other things, but who have shown interest in raising some rabbits. If they could have a litter now and then to grow out for several weeks, they would be able to do it. I could also then have cages emptied sooner (since I grow them out to 11-12 weeks often). Not everyone wants to have breeding stock, but they would like to raise at least some meat now and then. Probably won't work out, though.

I think that when you sell it is their rabbit.
Price the same. If they want me to butcher add on 20 bucks.
I can't imagine killing a rabbit for someone that then takes it home and can manage processing it. Particularly if freshness is a priority. But that's just me though

Back