selling Jersey Woolies....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a kick spinner from a tutorial, haven't got it to work yet, needs a bit of tweaking.
Sheep wool is something I have plenty of, from my sheep herding instructor. It's not the greatest, because she really doesn't keep the sheep for wool, but it's easy to work with.<br /><br />__________ Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:52 pm __________<br /><br />still haven't had any replies to all the inquiries I sent about spinning wheel repair.

I found a site that sells really nice kick wheels for $70. I'll find the link. From what I can tell, it would be fairly easy to make a home made spinning wheel too. I am going to see about getting some wool and a drop spindle to mess around with a bit. I want to be absolutely sure that I really like it before I spend a fortune on stuff.

I am thinking it would be really cool to harvest the wool, spin it into yarn and then make blankets, hats and booties, and such for preemies. To donate to the local NICU for the preemies. Having had two of them I know just how hard it is to get good warm preemie clothes and such.

When I had Brandon 10 weeks early and he was only 2 pounds I had so much to worry about, and it was next to impossible to find anything, even blankets that would fit and work for him. I will feel good about what I am doing knowing that I will be helping people just like someone helped me once. :)<br /><br />__________ Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:56 pm __________<br /><br />SKY I wish I had your hook up for sheeps wool. That would be awesome. :)

This is some of my spinning with my drop spindle of my EA angora fiber:

spin001.jpg

firstpluck01LargeWebview.jpg

spindles.jpg

OOOH look at all the pretty spindles. Do you make them? I pick the middle one. ;)

Or maybe the top left. That is kinda classy looking.

Or the bottom right......... They are all so nice. I see why you have so many. :)

Someday I will learn to spin like that. I am actually going to order some wool to start out and learn with. And a drop spindle but nothing so pretty as what you have there. maybe Ill have to learn to make my own spindles too.

TM, I started with the English Angora fiber that I have harvested from my bunnies ... no mixing with something else as I figured I wanted to spin the Angora, so I might as well start with it :p

The fiber on the Ashcroft spindle is the first try and is VERY thick and not anywhere thin enough to be twisted into a yarn, but I will send that to a friend who will use it in her free form crochet :D

My second try at spinning was about half that thickness, but I haven't had a chance to get back to it since last winter ... hope to get to it soon this winter :p

And, no, regretfully I did not turn those spindles myself, but the prices here and the service are AWESOME, so here's some eye-candy for those who love wood products:

http://www.kundertspindles.com/Drop_Spindles.htm

tm_bunnyloft":3d731qrw said:
Thank you. That would be great. I will have to find some wool or alpaca to work with before trying the angora. Have you used a mother Marion kick wheel? It seems like a really neat spinning wheel.

__________ Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:43 pm __________

How are English Angoras for spinning fiber? It looks like I may have found a pair of REW kits that would be available in February. And at what age are you usually able to start harvesting wool?

Typically you get the first coat off at around 3 months old, and then every few months after that. The first 1 or 2 harvests will be softer though, and weaker. I still spin it. English angora spins amazingly well, but it is more work. Their furnishings and their feet mat up easier.

I have never used a kick wheel. I have several different traditional wheels, and a few drop spindles. Once you're ready for a wheel, I recommend looking for a used wheel. Ravelry.com has lists where people resell equipment, and craigslist can be a good source. Look for an Ashford, Majacraft, or another main brand.

DSCN3018.JPG

Here are a few of my wheels, the one in the front left though was a little oak antique wheel who died in my cross country move :(

10-02%2520017.jpg

And here is a bunch of yarn I spun. We are thinking of opening a yarn and fiber store this year, still figuring out the financials. I'll get my angora photographed tomorrow and show it, so you can see a couple different types and colors.

I can always put some practice wool in a box for you. I have brown wool and white wool. Some is washed and some is in the yard/barn in a bag.

SKY that would be awesome.

I would be in heaven with all that yarn to work with. And a wheel like that too.

Oceanrose":2yanfuqh said:
tm_bunnyloft":2yanfuqh said:
Thank you. That would be great. I will have to find some wool or alpaca to work with before trying the angora. Have you used a mother Marion kick wheel? It seems like a really neat spinning wheel.

__________ Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:43 pm __________

How are English Angoras for spinning fiber? It looks like I may have found a pair of REW kits that would be available in February. And at what age are you usually able to start harvesting wool?

Typically you get the first coat off at around 3 months old, and then every few months after that. The first 1 or 2 harvests will be softer though, and weaker. I still spin it. English angora spins amazingly well, but it is more work. Their furnishings and their feet mat up easier.

I have never used a kick wheel. I have several different traditional wheels, and a few drop spindles. Once you're ready for a wheel, I recommend looking for a used wheel. Ravelry.com has lists where people resell equipment, and craigslist can be a good source. Look for an Ashford, Majacraft, or another main brand.

DSCN3018.JPG

Here are a few of my wheels, the one in the front left though was a little oak antique wheel who died in my cross country move :(

10-02%2520017.jpg

And here is a bunch of yarn I spun. We are thinking of opening a yarn and fiber store this year, still figuring out the financials. I'll get my angora photographed tomorrow and show it, so you can see a couple different types and colors.

those are beautiful. How do you dye them?

The People are on their way to see the woolies. I hope they buy them and make way for Angoras. This is so stressful. I HATE selling animals.
But its an evil necessity to get what I want.

__________ Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:02 pm __________

Sky if we work really really hard maybe just maybe we will be able to make yarn half as good as that some day. :D It is absolutely beautiful.

__________ Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm __________

How long are your Niddy Noddys? Did you make them yourself. That is exactly what I figured on doing for mine. Thinking I will need a few of those too.<br /><br />__________ Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:06 pm __________<br /><br />OceanRose How do you tell the difference between all the colors. There are so many accepted colors and they all look diluted at the wool grows, I cant tell them all apart. I am hoping for REW then I know for sure what color I have. lol

skysthelimit":ektu9pgp said:
those are beautiful. How do you dye them?

Some are purchased, a lot are dyed with Kool Aid. Get the regular kind, and a bottle of vinegar. It's a fun project, and tons of tutorials online. Some of mine is 6 years old, and still looks great.

crafts%2520067.jpg

Here is a photo of my yarn dryer (aka loom - no I have never used it) with a bunch drying. Now I have space, or will once I get a bit more organized and I plan to explore dyeing more. I love it!

__________ Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:39 pm __________

tm_bunnyloft":ektu9pgp said:
__________ Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:03 pm __________

How long are your Niddy Noddys? Did you make them yourself. That is exactly what I figured on doing for mine. Thinking I will need a few of those too.

__________ Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:06 pm __________

OceanRose How do you tell the difference between all the colors. There are so many accepted colors and they all look diluted at the wool grows, I cant tell them all apart. I am hoping for REW then I know for sure what color I have. lol

My Niddy Noddys are 18 inches long. I can skein 2 skeins and count the wraps to determine yardage, or skein 1, 2 yard skein and count and multiply. They are washable, and I used to fill them up, wash all at once and set the twist. Now my spinning is finally good enough I don't have to do that anymore, as I don't overspin on my Rose. I now take it off and wash. The longer skeins don't tangle as much, the shorter are kind of cute.

Angora basically ends up in a few colors. The the blacks are grayish, the fawns, and torts a peachy brown, agoutis are a grayish brown, chin a light gray, and reds a reddish. Satins have better saturation, the English lose it.

2012-12-31_19-21-30_711.jpg

Here, from left to right:

English angora. Black doe - older doe, she's almost 5 and was in terrible health. This is the first time I got fiber off of her, and I just kept a little bit. She is older, and appears almost white. I'm curious though to see if her fiber darkens as I plucked her this time.

English angora buck - Broken Buck (booted black). First plucking at 6 months. I had previously sheared him at 3 months.

Satin angora doe - REW. About 40% of her fiber here, as I purchased her when she was molting, and almost done. About 1.5 years.

Satin angora - Copper Buck - my fave color that I own. Though I am hoping to get some reds. Plucked at 6 months.

2012-12-31_19-21-21_675.jpg

Here again in the same order. I think you can see the sheen a bit better here though. My 'good' camera is out of battery so these are on my cell :).

__________ Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:40 pm __________

You can really see the sheen on the REW. I can only hope that my yarn will turn out so pretty as yours some day.

I watched a video on how to do up the skeins but yeah, I think I will need to watch it a few more times to make anything that resembles a skein of yarn.

tm_bunnyloft":127ev97s said:
You can really see the sheen on the REW. I can only hope that my yarn will turn out so pretty as yours some day.

I watched a video on how to do up the skeins but yeah, I think I will need to watch it a few more times to make anything that resembles a skein of yarn.

I have someone from Ohio going to Indianapolis.

I hope you can sell your Woolies. I am wishing I was closer so I could buy them...but... reading through this thread has rekindled my spinning passion.... I need to get back into it and get me a few wool rabbits to keep me supplied.

Do Woolies produce enough wool to spin? I have one buck that I won in a raffle last year. He is blowing his coat right now but even though it seems like a lot, it isn't really and most is getting mixed up in his hay.

Frecs he's don't really produce enough to spin. I did sell all but three kits. And I believe I have found my E's as well. Just waiting to see what they are...bucks or does. They will be ready february 20th.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:17 pm __________<br /><br />Owls friend that's a great idea.

At the end of January, but she my be too far from me in Ohio, I'm checking it out.

Latest posts

Back