Second Try...Did I find something new?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbyter

Reaction score
This is my second attempt at this post as the first seems to have disappeared into the bowels of the internet.

I've been doing a lot of research on various cage/hutch designs and have concluded that flooring choices are probably one of the most important factors. I've also decided that while I can see the practicality of why 14 GA wire floors are pretty much the standard, I wasn't thrilled about that option (mainly for cost and durability reasons). It just didn't feel like a good decision to shell out that much money for something that would eventually have to be replaced.

So I thought to myself..."What are the standards in other countries? Actually, which country produces the most rabbit meat per year and what do THEY use?" As it turns out, China produces more rabbit meat than any other country in the world and they DO have a different solution for rabbit cage flooring!

It's also potentially cheaper (depending on shipping) than what I'd pay here (Canada) for 14 GA wire. These panels can be found on Alibaba. I'm not going to link to them as that might have been why my previous post disappeared. If you're interested just go to the site and search for "rabbit flooring", you'll find lots of options.

Standard Panel (50 cm x 60 cm - approximately 20" x 24")
Optional Nest Box Panel (50 cm x 60 cm - approximately 20" x 24")
Holes (16 mm, slightly over 1/2 an inch)
Can support up to 100 kg / ~220 lbs

Rabbit Hutch Floor Panel.png Rabbit Hutch Floor Panel w Nest Box.png

I'm thinking of a hutch frame that would allow these panels to be easily swapped in and out allowing for different cage sizes (along with movable dividers). The hutch fronts and doors will most likely make use of 14 GA wire. I may also use these floor panels for the back of the hutch but I'm not sure about that yet. I'm still trying to figure out how I want to close in the top of each hole.

I'm pretty excited about the possibilities I can see with these panels.

Is there anything obvious anyone with more experience can see as a potential problem with these floor panels that I might be missing?

Last edited:
I'd want to know the exact composition of the panels because they are made in China, but I find them interesting as well.
I believe they are generally made of PET, the same plastic water bottles are made from. I'm going to confirm this when I contact them about shipping prices.

I dunno why the original thread was hard to find @bitbyter but now there are two. It is possible that the first was temporarily kicked back for approval or something but I don't see a record of that anywhere. In any case, it appears that I cannot simply combine threads, so to keep things simple, I am going to lock this thread and leave this trackback link to the original conversation. Please go HERE to reply!

Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back