Seal

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siddsaysgimmie

Reaction score
I'm wondering if a couple of my babies are seals or blacks.. anyone have pictures of seal colored bunnies? Or any clues? Usually my blacks are jet black, these ones have a brown-ish cast.

What are the parents? That will help determine, but if there is a brownish cast I'd say they're likely seals.

The father is tort (with a sable point mom) and the mom is a black (she goes back to a doe that threw sable points). Only torts and blacks other than that in their pedigrees. They had a litter together before, they had a tort, a black, and a sable point. This time there are 3 "blacks" and a very dark sable point. I am seeing a brownish cast but it might just be me.. I don't have any pics of my other blacks at this age so I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

It can be very hard to distinqish between black and seal.
Identified by extremely dark brown color with no shading visible. Often appears black at maturity, but can be told by buffy color on footpads, and around groin

Seal are full extension. Their black mother carries only one of these, as she had a tort in the past. She also must carry a shaded gene(or himalayan or REW)
Seals also have two shaded genes (or one dark shaded AKA chinchilla) and it is possible both parents carry them.
Siamese sables can be pretty dark as well and they only require one shaded gene as well as being full extension.

From the genetic history it is possible that the kits got two shaded genes, and the full extension from their black mother but statistically the chance of all this happening 3 times in one litter is low but not impossible.

Thanks, that helps. I forgot that I had a black 8 week old bunny down there.. I'm going to take some pictures of them with her later. I did end up finding pictures of her previous black.. she was way darker than these guys.

Would it be accurate to compare them with the 8 week old, or would the age make a difference? These guys are 3 weeks old.<br /><br />__________ Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:07 pm __________<br /><br />Okay, here they are. They were taken inside with a flash.. no editing except to make the pictures smaller.

Buck:

Jan29th13018.jpg

Jan29th13025.jpg

Doe:

Jan29th13034.jpg

Jan29th13030.jpg

Jan29th13036.jpg

Buck #2:

Jan29th13041.jpg

Jan29th13039.jpg

Jan29th13045.jpg

My seal out of two sable parent.
See how the camera makes it look brown. Seal gives the appearance of black, until you turn the fur into the light.

Attachments

• SS850819.JPG
    SS850819.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 832
  • SS850821.JPG
    SS850821.JPG
    350.3 KB · Views: 832
  • SS850820.JPG
    SS850820.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 832
Interesting, skysthelimit. Thanks. She's cute. Obviously she is not black though.. if they are that brown, wouldn't it be easy to distinguish the difference? The others pictures that I have seen of seals were always really dark. Or maybe they weren't in light.

If anything, I would say that they are poor blacks or seals. They don't have shading and weren't born blue-ish. Seems weird that they are all like this though.. I found pics of the mother's former black and she was totally dark. The 8 week old in the pictures is out of Toby's (the mother of these babies) mom and the same father as the babies.

Here they are at a day or two old. I noticed that they weren't as black as I remember they were when I took these pictures.. but didn't think anything of it. This is in bad lighting with no flash.

Jan8-9th13005.jpg

Jan8-9th13002.jpg

Is there a way to test breed?

I have a himi doe, so I'll keep one of the bucks and see what I get from the two. If anyone has pictures of seal bunnies or has experience with them, I would love to hear from them.. :)

Now, if they're not seal, what could cause them to have such a weird color? Even my mom, who isn't into rabbits at all, commented on one that I happened to be carrying around. She usually talks about how black they are, but she said that one was a weird color and "didn't look black". All of my babies up until now have been totally black.. all of them are related.

This is funny because I just had a Holland Lop litter born yesterday, out of a black buck and a broken tort doe. I think one of the babies may be a seal. Its very dark but not black. It's too dark to be a Siamese sable, so I'm thinking the parents must each carry a shaded gene.

Latest posts

Back