Schools on 2 hour delay due to...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
COLD :p :p

No, I'm not kidding!

The South has a rep for freaking out over a single snow flake and closing schools. But, to our great amazement and bemuzement...our county felt it necessary to put the schools on 2 hour delay today and tomorrow due to COLD.

Just how cold is it?? at 6am this morning it was 17F. At 10am it has warmed all the way up to 22F. So, if the "logic" of the delay is so kids wouldn't be at bus stops in 17F...is it so much warmer 2 hours later to make a difference? (And, most kids don't "stand at the bus stop" anymore...the bus stops in front of their house and they run from the house to the bus...or parents drive up to the bus stop and the kid sits in the car until the bus comes.)

The county south of us, Horry County SC, had the sense to realize 2 hours wasn't going to make much difference and did not delay school opening.

It never ceases to amuse me at the decisions our county makes...they have a definite phobia about cold and snow and ice and ...well..winter in general!

Yesterday and today my school has been closed due to the cold. It is in the -2 degree, but I still think its overkill.

LOL, if they closed school here for temps in the teens, school would be closed from December to March. But different places have different mindsets. :)

Yesterday all public schools here in Minnesota were closed due to the cold. It was -30F (actual temp, not with windchill) at 8 am here yesterday. Today at 8 am it was "only" -5F, so a big improvement. The public school in my town is open for the full day today.

-30F is a normal Jan day. We were lectured extensively on wearing proper clothing to recess because you could frostbite within 5mins. We still went outside provided you had the proper clothes. If you didn't have gloves, heavy coat, pants, and hood/hat you were stuck in a classroom to read or do homework. At least until highschool. By then they didn't care what you did. Some people would wear shorts through subzero temps.

schools are closed here for one simple reason... all roads leading out of town are closed and will be at least until noon tomorrow.

I may not make my doctor's appointment tomorrow..... It's at 1 and takes a full 45 minutes to get to.

yup our schools were closed due to cold weather yesterday and today, although they would have been closed regardless since our roads are nothing but a sheet of ice! Hubby even got a snowday yesterday :D

akane":27e57x0g said:
-30F is a normal Jan day. We were lectured extensively on wearing proper clothing to recess because you could frostbite within 5mins. We still went outside provided you had the proper clothes. If you didn't have gloves, heavy coat, pants, and hood/hat you were stuck in a classroom to read or do homework. At least until highschool. By then they didn't care what you did. Some people would wear shorts through subzero temps.

I remember as a little girl when dad was stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage AK that we had snowsuits -- we were wrapped up like sausages pretty much! But, otherwise, like you say, it's frostbite in just a few minutes.

I can certainly understand closing schools for -30F! Frostbite and hypothermia are nothing to toy with. It makes our county closing for +17F seem really silly...they do tend to over react at times.

And, if you need some interesting reading while ya'll are snow/cold bound...The Children's Blizzard is a very interesting read. I had ancestors homesteading in the Dakota Territories at that time and the Ingalls family (of Little House on the Prairie) were about 100 miles away also going through that Blizzard. (In fact it is the subject of one of her books.)

My mom and dad almost got stranded in arkansas visiting my grandparents once because the state got 2-3" of snow and temps around 0F. Everything closed. Not even gas stations were open. Luckily they were just over the border so they made it to missouri which has plows and were able to get gas to drive home.

Frecs":3hhnufkb said:
COLD :p :p

No, I'm not kidding!

The South has a rep for freaking out over a single snow flake and closing schools. But, to our great amazement and bemuzement...our county felt it necessary to put the schools on 2 hour delay today and tomorrow due to COLD.

Just how cold is it?? at 6am this morning it was 17F. At 10am it has warmed all the way up to 22F. So, if the "logic" of the delay is so kids wouldn't be at bus stops in 17F...is it so much warmer 2 hours later to make a difference? (And, most kids don't "stand at the bus stop" anymore...the bus stops in front of their house and they run from the house to the bus...or parents drive up to the bus stop and the kid sits in the car until the bus comes.)

The county south of us, Horry County SC, had the sense to realize 2 hours wasn't going to make much difference and did not delay school opening.

It never ceases to amuse me at the decisions our county makes...they have a definite phobia about cold and snow and ice and ...well..winter in general!

Thank you for sharing my exact sentiments. Its the dummest thing I've heard of. I have a cure for the cold...put a freakin coat on! Find a scarf. Find gloves. Find underwear. Make thugs pull their pants up around their waste. Wear cloths that actually cover yourself..I know, this is a new concept. :shock: -30F might be another story, but here it was 0.

Funny, it was -15 today and they had us go on a long ski trip. My friend (I didn't go, haha) got frost nip. The only time they allow people to stay home really is when it's -60 or colder out. And event then... They want you to come, but understand if you can't.

My phone loaded aol news when I went to browser today. It sometimes does random stuff like that. There was an article about how a homeless man walked 29miles in -10 windchill to get from his shelter to the courthouse and how impressed the police were. He took more than 8hrs to get there and started at 1am. They paid his $80 cab fare to return to the shelter. I'm thinking that's not that cold or impressive... I cleaned stalls for hours in much colder weather with and without windchill. Then I saw it was for Atlanta, GA. I guess that's news there.

Frecs":3fe5e9ru said:
akane":3fe5e9ru said:

I remember as a little girl when dad was stationed at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage AK that we had snowsuits -- we were wrapped up like sausages pretty much! But, otherwise, like you say, it's frostbite in just a few minutes.

I can certainly understand closing schools for -30F! Frostbite and hypothermia are nothing to toy with. It makes our county closing for +17F seem really silly...they do tend to over react at times.

And, if you need some interesting reading while ya'll are snow/cold bound...The Children's Blizzard is a very interesting read. I had ancestors homesteading in the Dakota Territories at that time and the Ingalls family (of Little House on the Prairie) were about 100 miles away also going through that Blizzard. (In fact it is the subject of one of her books.)

Yes. I've read The Children's Blizzard, too; terrible.

Back