Scent glands

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
I have read about cleaning a rabbits scent glands with a q-tip. Some people use water, some use mineral oil. Some say you need to, some say that you don't need to and that it's a cultural thing. Yes it is a stinky job, but if it's necessary....
I have never done it. Do any of you clean scent glands? If so, how often?

absolutely only if they need it. Most rabbits in condition don't need it, but the odd rabbit is seems over produces.

I do, I find that hydrogen peroxide helps to loosen the crusties, some of them will have a darkish or yellowish buildup, sometimes it's hard and you can just flick it and it will come out, other times you need to work a little to get it out, it's about the consistency of ear wax, and yes, they 'LOVE' it, you might want to wear long sleeves or put a old pair of socks on your arms.

But then I only do it to my show stock if it looks bad.

SOME rabbits get in the mood if you clean their glands. So if you have an in condition doe that doesn't want to breed...check those glands and clean them if necessary. Can do the trick (been there). :)

ladysown":3hcpmmz9 said:
SOME rabbits get in the mood if you clean their glands. So if you have an in condition doe that doesn't want to breed...check those glands and clean them if necessary. Can do the trick (been there). :)

ah, the manual stimulation thread!!!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back