Saving "lost" bunnies for raw feeders?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
(Mods, if this needs to go into a different section, please feel free to move it. Not sure whether this section is just for people food.)

Do I understand correctly that baby bunnies that die can be saved for those who raw-feed their dogs, snakes, etc.? How would I go about doing that? How old/big is too old/big? How should I approach a neighbor whom I suspect raw-feeds, or the local wildlife park, to see whether they'd be interested?

(No, thankfully we haven't lost any bunnies lately, but we're getting ready to breed again in the next week or so.)

you stick them in the freezer in a freezer bag. No size is too small, no size is too big. All can and will be used if you can find an outlet for them.

I actually think meat is meat - this seems to be a good place to ask the question ;)

Yes, maybe.
It depends on what they died from as you dont want to feed sick or toxic dead animals to another animal.
It also depends on if they are fresh dead. Fresh dead is fine if it didnt die of illness or toxic poisoning.
Fresh dead also depends on the surrounding tempos. If its cold, 50F or under, 12 hours can still be fresh dead. If its warm 1 hour can be to old. What happens is the internal organs begin to break down after death. The warmer it is the faster that happnes. That really doesn't make the best pet food. Snakes can get ill from non-fresh dead.
Dogs can end up puking or refusing the food all together. All sorts of things can go wrong so I wouldnt sell any unless you know they were healthy and fresh when frozen.

I myself feed out fresh deads to me dogs cats and snakes.
Some dogs and cats that have a regular diet of whole dead carcasses have no issues with old dead even 1/2 rotten carrion. But, a person who's dog is sensitive or not well adjusted to such a diet may get very ill if not a fresh dead.
I wouldnt risk someone trying to sue me because their pooch got sick on a carcass they got from me.

Snakes like Boas as pets should always have only fresh dead, thawed in cool water then warmed in warm water. With having to thaw and warm the carcass fresh dead is a need because the process itself causes some internal break down. If the carcass was frozen after it already started breaking down, internally, the food will be basically rotten by the time its prepped for the snake. That can be very risky for a snakes health.

So in summary. My snakes only get fresh dead.
My well adjusted dogs and cats get what isnt good for the snake.

No animal here gets dead anything that died of illness or poison.
Anything like that gets buried with lime or burned in the fire pit so no one can get to it to eat it.

As R. Pines said, if they're fresh dead or very cold temps then toss them into the freezer. For a market I would check around for a reptile supply house. If they're not interested they may be willing to let you put up a flyer or something.

Latest posts

Back