Satin fur?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
What IS satin fur? How can you tell it apart from normal fur? I had a rabbit, she was especially shiny, compared to my two other rabbits. Is this satin fur? Can lionhead rabbits have it to? I noticed my lionhead girl has different fur than the other rabbits I have now. She's got a fluffy beard, tummy, and some butt fluff, but the fur on her back is very soft and...light? And shiny, can't forget shiny. Shinier than Bozzie was! I never really noticed the feel of Copper's fur, but I really noticed with Sebastian.
Thoughts?

[I don't know where this should be posted to...if it goes somewhere else, can mods or someone move it? ^-^; ]

Attachments

• Baby-Copper-and-Baby-Bozzie.png
    Baby-Copper-and-Baby-Bozzie.png
    368.8 KB · Views: 741
  • Pretty-Copper-sm.png
    Pretty-Copper-sm.png
    554 KB · Views: 741
  • queenoftheyard.jpg
    queenoftheyard.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 741
First of all, that is a red satin in the picture, not a copper.

What ultimately gives the satin coat it's lustre is the makeup of each individual hair shell. It has a glass-like structure which gives the coat its sheen. It also has a finer diameter than regular fur, which is why Satin fur doesn't have the same harsh texture that most commercial breeds display.

An experienced breeder simply cannot look at a Satin's fur and be unable to distinguish it from other varieties.

Her name was Copper. I'm aware she's red. lol I always thought there was something different about her. I haven't been around varieties much besides my pet feed-store bunnies. :)

A red satin named Copper. Yeah, that's funny!!! :lol:

I was helping out a breeder from NWA earlier this year. She had bought a satin from a breeder near Dallas who swore up and down to her that the rabbit he was selling her was a red satin. She showed the rabbit to me, and it was a copper. The breeder in Texas must have been either blind or totally stupid, as there was absolutely no mistaking it.

Back