Satin Californian?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeenutdesigns

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get a California Satin. I am not so much interested in fur production. I really just want meat rabbits. Will a cali satin work as well for purely meat production as far as size, growth rate, and feed:meat ratio? Looking at getting a buck, so he would be bred to a cali doe and a NZW doe.

What does that mean? It is just a satin-y rabbit with cali markings So it looks like a cali with soft pretty fur.

__________ Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:23 am __________

This is not "the" actual rabbit, but is a pic of the same kind.

http://www.asrba.org/varieties/Californian_Satins.pdf

Not as interested in looks as meat production, so just wondering if anyone had any experience breeding these for meat production.

Normally I would be concerned that the breeders focus is on looks and not growth rate, feed conversion or meat to bone ratio but then I read this statement at the bottom of the linked page...

Most Californian Satins mature early and are good for meat production. We have won several shows with our Californian Satin meat pens.

This is a good indication that they focus on meat as well as beauty BUT they may have been the only rabbits in the class :D so clarify how much competion they had when they won.

I would just like to ask in this post after reading that article, fur really changes color in this breed based on temp? Like those shirts from the 80's?

All Cal/Himis color points are temperature sensitive.

The Cal (himi/pointed) color is an accepted variety in many breeds. I have to consistently explain to people that my Californian Rex, are Rex all the way, not a Cal/Rex cross. Californian is a breed as well as a color.

I would just like to ask in this post after reading that article, fur really changes color in this breed based on temp? Like those shirts from the 80's?
Yes, to a certain extent.

Their true colour shows up on the points so the only showable colours tend to be black, chocolate and blue. Rabbits who are agouti based with the himilayan gene will be lighter and the underside of the tail very white and lilac also doesn't show up well either.

Shaded rabbits (ie seal, Siamese sable, sable points) are also slightly temperature sensitive.

View attachment 30284satin Cali babies 7bdays old!
They look satiny and they may have come from a Californian-colored parent but those are not Californian satins. Californian refers to the variety/color: white body, dark points (nose, ears, feet and tail) with pink eyes. At 7 days old, most cal satins still look like REWs as it takes time for the color to develop on the points.
Those look like blue satins or possibly chocolate, hard to tell from the lighting. Anyway, they're selfs, not Californians. Unless of course they were born in San Diego. :)
And they look very well-fed - you must have a good rabbit momma!

Back