Sanitizing hutch

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
The two free bucks we got about a week ago are going to be harvested today. I need to give the hutch a good cleaning. The book I have says spray all surfaces with Lysol and then using a small torch to heat up the wire to further sanitize. Is Lysol something that can harm the other rabbits in the vicinity?

Don't use Lysol....you can use 1:10 solution of bleach/water or use vinegar or rubbing alcohol or betadine. Also, torching the wire can destroy the galvanization. Usually, you can clean, rinse and let it sit in the sun for further sanitizing. UV rays are a great sanitizer.

I like to use my steam cleaner filled with white vinegar. If vinegar is a good sanitizer, boiling vinegar has to be even better, right? :p Whatever you use, rinse the wire well with water. Bleach dries to a salt which will rust the cages, and vinegar is acidic and may erode the galvanization.

Sometimes I follow up with rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle.

Don't forget feeders and waterers in your cleaning.

Thank you!! I would have gone right on ahead with the Lysol. I will do boiling vinegar and then spray with alcohol as well. The feeders and water bottles should sit in bleach water? Or boil in water?

Sorry so many questions. I just love this site. Learning from other people is so much better than reading something from a book. I can't ask the book questions!

I think I would just soak the bottles so you don't stress the plastic with heat.

I too have learned so much more here than I found in books. :) Plus we have such a nice group of people! :D

Soaking feeders and water containers in a bleach water solution. I think I will boil some vinegar to sanitize the nesting boxes and then I'll spray down the hutch with alcohol.

Thank you thank you!<br /><br />__________ Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:10 pm __________<br /><br />Should the vinegar be mixed with water or is it straight white vinegar?

I use the vinegar straight. You may be able to dilute it, but I don't know the effective rate.

MamaSheepdog":mma1jc8u said:
I use the vinegar straight. You may be able to dilute it, but I don't know the effective rate.

I would use it straight too...

That's what I did. I had just enough too. Soaped up the hutch real good. Sprayed it off with high pressure hose and then dumped boiling vinegar all over it. Letting it air dry. Pretty damp outside though. No rain but this is Oregon. Could rain any moment. Won't be needing the nesting boxes for about a month anyways.

Back