Salt spool and 3 week old bunnies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user8584

Reaction score
Should three week old bunnies be given free choice salt, or just pellets and hay?

If they have pellets, more than likely they will already be getting enough salt. Check the label and see if it's an ingredient.

Shouldn't three WEEK old bunnies still be with their mum? I'd not noticed that earlier, you mean, three MONTH old babies? If they're three weeks old, they should probably still be drinking milk. For the three month olds, if the salt is free choice, then they can eat it if they need it, I'd guess. Our sheep get sheep minerals in a separate dish and they seem to eat them when they want and leave them alone when they don't want. Wouldn't it be similar for bunnies?

Clarification, these are three week old , obviously with their mother. They out in the pen nibbling at hay, in the water, literally in the feeder and licking the salt spool. They have an excellent mom who has her troop in line.
The lord is righteous in all his way and benevolent in all his deeds.

Baby bunnies do like to be in the feeder, don't they? Not that you can really tell, but the bun in my avatar is a baby angora in a feed dish.

It's probably okay for them to be licking the salt spool as well as tasting everything else. It will help them get a wide variety of gut bacteria and be able to eat lots of different things as adults. If mom is eating it, babies should be able to eat it, too.

Thanks to all , I think they are doing great, gaining weight and very active, I have all the confidence in the mom who is 3. raising rabbits is a wonderful experience.

Back