Safe trees for chewing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mountain Spice":21sfcuuy said:
They also LOVE my weeping williow branches and leaves!! :) :)

Carolina willow (Salix caroliniana) is abundant around here (but mostly in the ditches along the roadways which isn't good forage location). I have a small bush in my yard. My rabbits love it!<br /><br />__________ Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:19 am __________<br /><br />
WildWolf":21sfcuuy said:
Well, I'm rather disappointed- neither of my rabbits show much interest in the yellow poplar twigs I gave them.

Keep trying. My rabbits can be distrusting of new food items at first.

:pullhair: A perfect example of why we MUST use Latin names!

"Yellow poplar" is not a Populus at all. It is also known as tulip tree and the Latin name is Liriodendron tulipifera. Fortunately, it does not appear to be toxic to rabbits, since wild cottontails are known to use it as a food source.
http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecolo ... poplar.htm

Chamaecytisus palmensis is a tree I am growing as animal feed.
It is called lucerne tree because has some similar properties with alfalfa.
At this time I have only 7 young trees but it is a perfect tree for semi desert areas being very drought tolerant.
The high protein content makes is a very valuable animal feed tree.

WildWolf":1n53womy said:
According to the federal forest service, rabbits do browse on oaks.
And we have southern red oaks, and white oaks, I think. I will double check tomorrow

We have Blue Oak (Quercus douglasii) here, my rabbits love the bark, although I have not fed the leaves to them?

Back