Safe Hedges

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hazel":1cknw4j2 said:
Hosta will not do well in containers ,boxwood does ok in containers , can rabbits eat boxwood?

Hostas do fine in containers, other than being stunted. My mum sells perennials for a living, and we don't overwinter in the ground... Once a hosta is divided, it is put in a pot(usually 6" rounds, sometimes 6" squares or gallons) and left. The more expensive varieties she has, we heel them into the ground in their pots, but they still live in the pot itself.

Pink":1cknw4j2 said:
I'll go out a buy some more hostas, and see if they'll survive in the container or not. They're $15 over here, for about 12" to 16" tall.

I currently have about 50 hostas in the "garden". I didn't know they were edible! I wonder if my landlord would mind if I ripped some leaves off?

Ouch. Mum sells hers for 4$ for common, 6$ for specialties. Maybe we could do a trade for an English Spot bunny?? Lol! If your landlord is okay with it, you can divide now, though it does make the plant sulk for a while. Some varieties don't pick back up until the following spring, though others bounce right back with no issues. About 2 weeks ago my mum and I completely redid her hosta bed, and divided about half of the hostas in that bed(about 20 hostas.) All survived, most are doing well, we've got a few sulkers. Trust me when I say that I know hostas, lmao. MSD is right about the trimming of leaves with slug damage, and you shouldn't have any problems finding ones with nibbled leaves, as they've been rather bad this year in my area, and my mum's MIL lives up that way and is having the same problem with her hostas.

Latest posts

Back