Sad discovery

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dood

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Some of you may have read my posts about a little ermine who moved into my rabbit barn last fall and didn't bother my bunnies but quickly decimated the mouse population :cheer2:

Well this afternoon I found a drowned ermine in one of our water barrels :cry:

It's a female but I cannot tell if it's the mother or one of her offspring - hopefully the latter - but either way it is pretty sad

Here is a picture of her and a measuring tape to show that she's not much bigger than a newborn bunny but twice the length

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 607
Aw, that's sad. I quite like having a weasel or mink around for rodent control. We did have trouble with a mink taking one of our rabbits in the winter of 2013-14, but in general as long as the rats and mice are there, they leave our rabbits and chickens alone.

Poor thing. We have them too and I love them because they limit themselves to mice. Often the cats get the babies. :(

The oddest animal I found drowned in a water bucket was a flying squirrel!

That is sad..Those are cute...
I have a rather large Gopher Snake living in my yard, It came into the house day before yesterday! I hate snakes!!!I think it was about 5 feet long, The snake page said they can grow to be 9 feet long. *shudders* Hubby wants to keep it for rodent control, yuck, If it scares my bunnies it's history.... :x

katiebear":25bcqmok said:
That is sad..Those are cute...
I have a rather large Gopher Snake living in my yard, It came into the house day before yesterday! I hate snakes!!!I think it was about 5 feet long, The snake page said they can grow to be 9 feet long. *shudders* Hubby wants to keep it for rodent control, yuck, If it scares my bunnies it's history.... :x
Should give me your unwanted gopher. :mrgreen: I've been wanting one.

Nyctra":fr03u1y4 said:
Should give me your unwanted gopher. :mrgreen: I've been wanting one.

It is beautiful ..as far as snakes go..sure scared me though to see it behind the couch!! :x Tell you what..you come catch it and it's yours :lol: :p

Poor little ermine! :( Sure is a pretty little thing.

MaggieJ":k3nazng9 said:
Some of these drownings can be avoided by keeping a long thick stick in the water barrel. It gives the critters at least a chance of climbing out.

:yeahthat: Or even a piece of field fencing so they have a "ladder" to climb... it wont discolor the water with tannins like some woods will do.

Awwwww... sorry to see it didn't make it. Very cool little creature.

Snakes? No thank you. I used to play with them when I was young, but finding a 4 footer at ohhhh midnight or so when I went into the bathroom last year was not pleasant.

Back