Sable Point

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A pointed white is not a nonextension color it's a himi. You need them to make more sables not sable points. You can't breed sable to sable or sable to sable point. You will get seal.

Smoke pearl is a blue sable where regular siamese sable is a black sable so you need dilute.

Ok but only the seal will have the cchl cchl. Sable will only have one cchl so if I breed two sables together not all will be seal. Half will be seal and half sable figuratively. Or at least that is the way I interpreted it.<br /><br />__________ Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:15 pm __________<br /><br />Do I have to have a smoke pearl to make more of them or do I just need it in the ancestry of one of my rabbits for a possibility of getting it?

You will get 1/2 sable, 1/4th seal/ and 1/4th whatever was used to make the sable meaning himi or rew. Usually himi aka pointed white.

You will need 2 rabbits carrying dilute to make smoke pearls. You cant' tell if a rabbit is carrying and even having it in their background only gives you a chance not a guarantee.

tm_bunnyloft":26yetppd said:
All of the extension/nonexistent confuses me.

Think tort. You need a tort somewhere.
You will still need to rebred those buns back to the original buns, without another sable point to breed to. You can breed the himi to the sable point, then those kits back to the sable point. Or you can get a tort, breed it to the sable point, then breed those kits back to the sable point.

So I Have to start with a Sable Point? Or I can make one of my own? I get what to do once I have a sable point to build the line. But how do I get one without having one to begin with? Other than to buy one that is.... LOL

Sorry I'm being lazy, but I should probably be in bed.

To make your own Sable Point from scratch you’ll need to have a Tortoise. You’ve got to make it a good one because this is the rabbit you’ll be seeing in every single Sable Point you have for years to come. You’ve also got to make sure it is a black based tort. You do not want chocolate or dilute in your Sable Point lines! Take the Tort to a really nice Himi, Sable or Seal. The resulting offspring should now have the non-extension (ee) from the tort and the (c chl) from the Sable, Seal or Himi. Save those babies and rebreed these carriers until you eventually get your Sable Point. http://www.minnowlakerabbits.bravehost.com/babies.html

Excellent link Sky. Enjoyed reading that. I'm hoping to get some Sable Points out of my Hollands and Dwarfs eventually.

That's the same link I posted three days ago, fwiw.

Appreciate the conversation regarding the way this color works. Confusing, but interesting.

bitterroot":o1w8mdvw said:
That's the same link I posted three days ago, fwiw.

Appreciate the conversation regarding the way this color works. Confusing, but interesting.

I noticed. I figured with the conversation at the beginning it didn't make sense the first time around, and this was the best point to interject it again. One of my favorite links. Although I am not breeding sable points, but sables, it still has relevance to my breeding goals.

That depends on what color you start out with. To the parent would be the usual way to go.

Sky your the best. As always I appreciate your help in figuring out genetics.

I have a seal doe I could use and buy a tort buck. Then the kits would get the cchl right off. And then the doe kits would get bred back to the tort in hopes that they pass on the cchl gene and get the second e from the buck. :)Correct?

That is if she is in truth a seal. Since she comes from a black and himi I am pretty sure she is.

Otherwise I have a sable doe that I can use as well.

True seals actually come from sables and the chin line, not blacks.

It's the chin gene, and a self black does not carry the chin gene. It could be a self chin, which would look like a bad black.<br /><br />__________ Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:25 pm __________<br /><br />http://www.chini-mini.com/CHLgene.html

Now I thought seal was a double cchl gene. That's what I have read. And my black doe carries one cchl and so does my buck. So that is where the seal comes from.

You can get a seal from any full color rabbit since cchl is recessive to C.

tm_bunnyloft":2n1aitqv said:
Now I thought seal was a double cchl gene. That's what I have read. And my black doe carries one cchl and so does my buck. So that is where the seal comes from.

Now you didn't say that. If the black has a chin gene, and you are sure of that. I though you meant that seal came from blacks, which they don't the come from chin lines. cchl is the chin gene, the set of chin genes are the shaded genes. So if that black came from chin lines, or shaded lines, that's a different story.

Yes she does. Her sire is a Tort and her Dam is a siamese sable With lots and lots of shaded on her pedigree.
i am positive she has the cchl gene because I bred her to the himi marten buck and they gave me a seal. :)<br /><br />__________ Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:11 am __________<br /><br />So now the kits I produce from the seal to tort mating would be bred back to which parent?

Back