Sable Point

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A sable point is aa B_ chl_ D_ ee, I believe. I've gotten them out of my black buck that carries shaded, and my tort doe that also carries shaded. Unfortunately, they haven't survived. Planning on breeding again tomorrow. I have a buyer that is interested in a sable point and I'd like one too so I'm really hoping they make it this time! As far as what to avoid in the line I'm not real sure...I'm sure others on here will give some great advice. :)

I have a pointed white buck(martenized) that is ata B- chcchl D- E-
So to get a sable point from him he would need his other E to actually be an e? Correct? And then he would need to be bred to something with ee? correct? And an aa would help too. :)

__________ Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:02 am __________

That would work. A tort. Thats what I need. So now to hope for a tort. :D preferably a blue tort.

If you bred your martenized buck with a tort you would end up with martenized/ottered torts which are not showable.

Hmmmmm Then what would I have to cross my sable with to get a sable point?<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:11 am __________<br /><br />So avoid the "at's" then. :) and the torts? or just the tan group?

you can breed the shadeds to the torts and the shadeds to tans just don't breed the torts to the tan group. :)

By sable, do you mean siamese sable? If you bred a siamese sable to a pointed white or REW, you could get sable points only if each parent carried e.

A rabbit with EE will never throw sable points. You need Ee or an already ee in both parents.

I have a pointed white doe and buck that I could mate with a siamese sable when they grow up. Would that have possibilities? Or do I need to buy something to add to my herd to produce sable points?

Here is what I have....
Pointed white marten carrying shaded buck
Pointed white doe
pointed white buck
black carrying shaded doe
black carrying shaded jr buck
sable marten jr buck
sable jr buck
sable jr doe
seal jr Buck

So what would I need to do to get sable points and to get smoke pearl in here?
I am thinking I am going to get rid of the pointed whites and go shaded group only. Free up cage space for what I am finding I like the most.

You can't see the e gene until you get a nonextention (sable point, tort...) rabbit so there is absolutely no way to know if any of those rabbits would create a sable point.

I'm going to breed a black-based tort buck to my sable point doe to try for more sable points. Seems like the easiest of the recommended colors to be able to get hold of. According to Evans, half the litter should be more torts, and about 11% sable points.

ETA - I mean siamese sable doe, not sable point. >.<

tm_bunnyloft":1y7y9esb said:
I am thinking I am going to get rid of the pointed whites and go shaded group only. Free up cage space for what I am finding I like the most.
<br /><br />__________ Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:33 pm __________<br /><br />
Devon's Mom Lauren":1y7y9esb said:
A sable point is a tort with the chin gene, it is not a shaded. You need non extension, self and the chin gene.

pointed whites are himis, right? you want the pointed whites but not the martin.

A sable point is a shaded as it's still a sable. It is not a rabbit with the chin gene but a nonextentsion sable. Pointed whites are used to make sables since 2 sable genes makes a seal so you use one himi gene and one sable gene.

Actually, a sable point is a shaded with non extension genes. A tort is a black with non extension. :)

The chin gene is the shaded gene. All shaded colors have some type of C locus chin gene (chl, chd, ch) acting on the color.
The torts are the ones that aren't really shaded. They do not have a lower C locus gene, but the non extension.
Sable points have both, the chin gene makes them sable, the non extension makes them pointed.

So if I breed my Sable doe to my Pointed White buck will I have a possibility of getting a sable point?

All of the extension/nonexistent confuses me. I get that my pointed white marten wont work but I also have a pointed white that is not a marten.

And then what do I need to get smoke pearl in my herd?

Back