Sable Point to Sable Point.... but what are these?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
We have 2 Holland Lop Sable Point rabbits (no pedigrees).

Our doe gave birth to 2 kits on 5/4/16 (6 days ago). One looks almost totally white, the other looks like it could be sable point.

Shouldn't they both be sable point since both parents were? What colors do you think these 2 kits are?

Thank you.
DSC_0010_resize.JPG
DSC_0011_resize.JPG
DSC_0012_resize.JPG
DSC_0013_resize.JPG <br /><br /> __________ Tue May 10, 2016 8:34 pm __________ <br /><br /> Here are pics of the doe & buck

Doe.JPG

Buck.JPG

Looks like it could be a red eyed white which is recessive to sable (and himilayan) so the parents could be secret carriers

If the eyes are pink/red and it doesn't get darker points then you'll know it's REW

jimmywalt":2b9e6wfo said:
One looks almost totally white, the other looks like it could be sable point.

The white one looks like a REW, might want to check for eye color as soon as they open. Not sure about the other one -- I'm terrible at guessing pointed and shaded colors. :/

Shouldn't they both be sable point since both parents were?

Unfortunately, rabbit genetics are WAY more complicated than that. :-D It depends on what genes the parents are carrying rather than what they look like on the outside. Here's more info on that: http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.co ... sindex.php

Also, I'm probably wrong about this, but that doe looks like a broken sable point to me. :hmm:

P.S. Those kits are ADORABLE!!! :p

Yes, probably REW carriers. Don't be surprised if you also end up with seals. Sable point x sable point = seal if the kit gets both sable point genes. That threw me for a loop once.

jimmywalt":ztbxlgg6 said:
Shouldn't they both be sable point since both parents were?

That is not at all how it works. :lol:

Genes come in pairs that are made up of 2 or more options. A sable is 1 sable gene and 1 rew or 1 sable gene and 1 himi gene. 2 sable genes makes a seal. All sable crosses can produce sable, rew or himi, and seal. That's just one gene pair. There are 5 gene pairs to make up the basic color plus genes for various patterns and modifiers we don't have gene designations for. Sable points can't hide as many genes as most colors but they can produce at lot more than 1 color.

Latest posts

Back