Sable Agouti OR Chocolate Chinchilla?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussiegirl

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Does any know what colour this fellow is and would he be worth keeping in my breeding program.
I have been told by the person I bought my British Giant from that he is a 'Sable Agouti' but I have also found pictures on the internet of 'Chocolate Chinchilla' which sort of looks like his colour.

I haven't named him yet as I still don't know if I'll keep him (might go to a pet home instead), he is a New Zealand x Californian (looks like he might have something else in him as his mother wasn't bred from here).

20140921_112957.jpg

20150124_174209.jpg

He's a frosty, which is basically the chinchilla'd version of a red.
I think it's safe to say he does have something else in him, as neither NZ or Cal should have the chinchilla gene. lol

Not chocolate chin. I don't have pics of mine very old but it's pretty obvious when you see the color

It doesn't look normal black tipped though.... Was the NZ side red? It does look like a frosty aka ermine

This is a blue ermine

and a lilac ermine

Hi Akane & everyone else that replied,

I meant to say the NZ doe wasn't born here instead of bred.

The mother is the New Zealand white which I bought when she was about 3 months old (I don't know her history but I doubt she has Red in her as it is EXTREMELY difficult if not impossible to find a New Zealand red in Australia - it's obviously some other breed), I was told she was purebred (her records have since been updated). The father is the Californian who was born & raised here so I know he is purebred.

Here is a picture of him while still a young baby (he & one of the white babies are not from the same litter shown as they were fostered into this litter due to the mother not looking after them - only had two).

20140823_142440.jpg

20140921_113051.jpg

Do you know of any rabbits that have the weird hair pattern shown on his head?.

It is impossible for a REW and a Californian to produce anything other than himilayan and red eyed white colours - another buck must be the sire of this kit and any other coloured kits in the litter :)

REW = __ __ cc __ __
X
Cali = __ __ ch ch (OR ch c) __ __
=
Kits __ __ ch c __ __ (or __ __c c __ __)

As for the kits colour; none of my frosties have a dark base and I think the kit is just a very light chinchilla (see picture of the variation [colours left to right - chin, chin (light), Opal (light)]) I find my Cali cross AmChin kits were VERY light and assume the Cali parent lacks the darkening modifiers :)

And it is too washed out to be a black sable ( again my sable agoutis are hard to tell from poorly marked chin) and think it is indeed chocolate chin OR chocolate sable agouti :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,833
:yeahthat:

Chins come in all shades. I've seen some so heavily banded they almost look steel, and some so lighty banded they almost look like an ermine. He definately looks chin, but it would be more of how that gene got there.

looks Choco. chin to me. Look at the ears if the line on the ears or tail is chocolate then it's a chocolate chinchilla. Dood is right a NZ/Cali can't produce a choco. chin. I bet the NZ was a mutt of some kind.

I've had lots of choco. Chins here are some pictures of mine:

isako_by_trickster_of_asgard-d6x2lf5.jpg

blue_fox_like_bun_by_trickster_of_asgard-d6wvjgz.jpg

bananaaaaaa_____by_trickster_of_asgard-d6wvfa4.jpg

russe_by_trickster_of_asgard-d675f75.jpg

AS A KIT:

new_buck_by_trickster_of_asgard-d65yv0b.jpg

O.M.G I'm such a dill,

After Dood's reply I have gone over my breeding records & Rabbit breeding database several times (I setup my database about 2 - 3 months ago using 'Kintraks", had a LOT of rabbit/breeding information to enter) and I think I know where I went wrong.

At the time this particular male was born I had about 20 or so does housed in cages outside undercover while starting the renovations on the rabbitry.
I got home around 10pm from work one night and some of the rabbits had their litters, I have to bring the litters from those cages inside during the night & day (except for morning & afternoon feedings) due to Carpet snakes being found inside the cages before. I wrote down the litters born to which cage & went to bed as it was nearly 12pm as that stage.

Sorry I got a little off track, the outdoor cages are in banks of 4 and are all numbered except for one bank which is where THIS rabbit came from.

All 4 cages were REW does I wrote down this rabbit came from the 2nd cage.
After going through the records I wrote down that Cages 1 & 2 were bred to a Californian buck and Cages 3 & 4 to a Grey/white Vienna marked buck (have since sold that male as I have decided not to keep any VM or VC males). This rabbit may have possibly come from the 3rd cage & I have mistakingly written down the 2nd cage.
Obviously being late at night after a couple of hours at work & having to bring in about 11 litters at the time I mucked up big time, If Dood & Celice hadn't pointed this out I doubt I would of picked it up. Thank you..

Still wouldn't of thought a grey/white VM would produce this colour baby, but I am now finding out how Fustrating & Intriguing Genetics actually is.

Thanks..

Latest posts

Back